Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just did my 2nd oil cooler backflush, and also replaced the thermostat and reservoir/degas bottle. There was a bunch of crud stuck up top in the reservoir and as the antifreeze expanded it would rise into the crud and run it through the system 😬. Anyway, flushed it out, replaced the coolant filter and used new rotella elc (had that in it before too) and now my coolant gets up to 196-198 and oil temp is 200-204 I think those are acceptable numbers, but here’s my question. With the old thermostat, the ECT would run 190-194 and oil temp 200-206. Does anyone think the thermostat was starting to take a dump? I’m happy with the new deltas, but I am curious as to why the truck ran “cooler” on the coolant side vs now with a new tstat? I may eventually have to replace the oil cooler, but for now flushing it is easier. Ford parts only used. Tstat, reservoir and new reservoir cap.

· Administrator
35,300 Posts
I am guessing your coolant ratio mix is different ( straight water cools better than coolant and the stronger the coolant ratio the less it will cool but gives better protection in other areas )
or the truck parameters are just not identical to the previous observed temps ( ambient/load/etc

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am guessing your coolant ratio mix is different ( straight water cools better than coolant and the stronger the coolant ratio the less it will cool but gives better protection in other areas )
or the truck parameters are just not identical to the previous observed temps ( ambient/load/etc
I put in 3 full gallons of the elc and then topped off with distilled water. Towing my trailer yesterday I was getting between 8-10° deltas. I am happy with it for now, but like I said I may have to replace it sooner or later.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.