Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can get an oil reservoir cover or a part number for it so I can search for it? Got an early 2004 6.0. I've got some sort of oil leak that is driving me absolutely out of my mind. Its collecting on the top of the oil reservoir cover right in front of the coolant outlet to egr. The oil fills up in that channel and just stays a steady stream of oil. I thought it was turbo oil supply, replaced that, thought it was EOP switch, replaced that, thought it might be old deteriorating gaskets, got brand new ones installed and was able to replace the oil cooler as well. But this thing is just continuing to leak. Might be a crack in the cover? Has anyone experienced this before? I'm at the end of my rope with this thing. Attached image is where the oil is accumulating.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2004 (Early) F-350 SC SRW 4x4 6sp
232 Posts
Could be a bag o-ring on that cover to the right. It holds oil back. I pulled my cover looking for a leak and it was the o-rings. You can buy an o-ring kit for the cooler.

When inspecting it after pulling the cover it's hard to determine if the cracks are normal casting lines or an issue. In the end I cleaned it up real good and carefully assembled with new Ford o-rings and the problem was gone. Sorry I don't have the part number, but I'd remove/inspect it before you buy. You could always go nuts and do a remote oil cooler effectively circumventing the whole thing, but that's a lot of cash (to me at least)

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Reactions: MikeyMc

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be a bag o-ring on that cover to the right. It holds oil back. I pulled my cover looking for a leak and it was the o-rings. You can buy an o-ring kit for the cooler.

When inspecting it after pulling the cover it's hard to determine if the cracks are normal casting lines or an issue. In the end I cleaned it up real good and carefully assembled with new Ford o-rings and the problem was gone. Sorry I don't have the part number, but I'd remove/inspect it before you buy. You could always go nuts and do a remote oil cooler effectively circumventing the whole thing, but that's a lot of cash (to me at least)

Ok, which o rings specifically though? Cause I just replaced all those gaskets and o-rings. Unless somehow I missed one?

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
I didn't realize you had done that already. I guess back to inspection and go from there.

I'm not going to suggest your replacement o-rings are the issue - probably not. However, for me it was my new o-rings that were the problem. On my second tear down installing the new new o-rings I found they were slightly less sloppy, specifically the largest cover gasket.

Reactions: bismic

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Here's the post where I was having the problem a while ago. Slightly different because my problem was oil leaking into the coolant via the cover, not leaking out the cover. But you'll see here lots of discussion about cracks in the cover and lots of pictures I took, maybe helpful

1 - 6 of 6 Posts