Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to determine what oil I should use. I live in DFW, TX so it gets pretty warm here. No real cold weather concerns here.

This last weekend I saw some Lucas Oil MAGNUM 15-40 for pre 2007 diesel engines. The truck stop wanted $25 per gallon but I found it online for $15.99 per gallon. I also saw a good deal @ Wally World for Roltella full syn 5-40 ($20 per gallon). They also had Motorcraft oil filters for 7.3 for $9...bonus!

I also thought about using the Lucas Oil HD Oil Stabilizer. When I was @ the International dealer today to pick up my Rotella HD ELC they were telling me a lot of the guys driving rigs use the Lucas HD Oil Stabilizer.

I noticed the 7.3 manual does not even mention 5-40 oil, rather 15-40 mainly.

Thoughts? What is everyone else running?

Thanks,
Rascal

·
Registered
618 Posts
I've put on 500k with just rotella every 5k miles. Also around 500k on another of our truck with using the stabilizer and didn't really notice a difference.

Although in my 91 Toyota with the four banger the stabilizer quieted the motor down a lot.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I am trying to determine what oil I should use. I live in DFW, TX so it gets pretty warm here. No real cold weather concerns here.

This last weekend I saw some Lucas Oil MAGNUM 15-40 for pre 2007 diesel engines. The truck stop wanted $25 per gallon but I found it online for $15.99 per gallon. I also saw a good deal @ Wally World for Roltella full syn 5-40 ($20 per gallon). They also had Motorcraft oil filters for 7.3 for $9...bonus!

I also thought about using the Lucas Oil HD Oil Stabilizer. When I was @ the International dealer today to pick up my Rotella HD ELC they were telling me a lot of the guys driving rigs use the Lucas HD Oil Stabilizer.

I noticed the 7.3 manual does not even mention 5-40 oil, rather 15-40 mainly.

Thoughts? What is everyone else running?

Thanks,
Rascal
Lucas oil stabilizer is really nothing more than very heavy (Cst of over 120, 40 weight oil is 12-16) base stocks with nothing else in it. Unless your burning a lot of oil, it is a waste. The reason your 7.3 manual doesn't mention 5w40s is cause they were not a big factor in the diesel oil world until a few years ago. Your gotta remember your 7.3 manual is over 10 years old now, lots has changed.

Personally, I don't like anything Lucas... Forrest Lucas is a marketing genius and former trucker...not a chemist. For oil I stick to the major brands (Delo, Delvac, Rotella etc).

·
Registered
337 Posts
Tractor Supply has Rottella T6 on sale for $19.99 and Pep Boys will price match. No other parts house will. Running 5/40 in my 6.0 and it's much quieter and happier. I would assume a 7.3 would like it too.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lucas oil stabilizer is really nothing more than very heavy (Cst of over 120, 40 weight oil is 12-16) base stocks with nothing else in it. Unless your burning a lot of oil, it is a waste. The reason your 7.3 manual doesn't mention 5w40s is cause they were not a big factor in the diesel oil world until a few years ago. Your gotta remember your 7.3 manual is over 10 years old now, lots has changed.

Personally, I don't like anything Lucas... Forrest Lucas is a marketing genius and former trucker...not a chemist. For oil I stick to the major brands (Delo, Delvac, Rotella etc).
Ok, so what oil do you run? Just curious?

My truck is not burning any oil from what I can tell; I just want to give her the best.:D
I am leaning towards the Rotella T6 5-40.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Ok, so what oil do you run? Just curious?

My truck is not burning any oil from what I can tell; I just want to give her the best.:D
I am leaning towards the Rotella T6 5-40.
T6 is a great oil for the money, my local TSC had it for 17 bucks a gallon... too bad I won't need an oil change for another 6000 miles or so.

Personally, I run whatever name brand 15w40 is on sale when I change my oil for most of the year. Currently I have Delo 15w-40 in mine. For no empirical reason at all I seem to like Delvac and Delo the most but Rotella, Valvoline etc all make a good oil. In the winter I will run a diesel rated 10w-30. Last year I ran Rotella T5, I might run that or JD Plus 50 10w-30 depending on which is cheaper.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
T6 is a great oil for the money, my local TSC had it for 17 bucks a gallon... too bad I won't need an oil change for another 6000 miles or so.

Personally, I run whatever name brand 15w40 is on sale when I change my oil for most of the year. Currently I have Delo 15w-40 in mine. For no empirical reason at all I seem to like Delvac and Delo the most but Rotella, Valvoline etc all make a good oil. In the winter I will run a diesel rated 10w-30. Last year I ran Rotella T5, I might run that or JD Plus 50 10w-30 depending on which is cheaper.
For the life of me I cannot find just regular DELO 400 anywhere anymore. It is all the Low Emissions [email protected]! Does TSC carry the regular DELO 400?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
For the life of me I cannot find just regular DELO 400 anywhere anymore. It is all the Low Emissions [email protected]! Does TSC carry the regular DELO 400?
No, I think they only have the 400 LE. Which is what I am running. Most, if not all, of the big brands have gone to the CJ-4 (aka low emissions compliant) motor oil formulation now. Even JD is CJ-4 compliant at this point.

I know back in 2006-2007 when they first came out there was a lot of push back due to the drop in calcium and zinc in the oil and the drop in TBN (most CI-4+ oils had TBNs of 11-13, CJ-4 is 8-11). But they have increased the use of boron, molly and magnesium to make up for it, the primary source of an acid environment in a diesel crankcase (blow by from combustion dropped when fuel when from 500 ppm of sulfur to 15 ppm) the need for higher TBN numbers dropped as well and the newer oil handle soot very well.

In my situation, I know I am dumping serviceable oil out of my truck, I am no where near depleting the add pack or the level of TBN so I don't see the need to avoid CJ-4 oils. If I was running higher sulfur fuel or was running REALLY REALLY long OCIs then maybe but for me OTC motor works just fine.

Of I am off my soap box!:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have heard very good things about Delo, however I have yet to try it out because my first oil change has no come (new to me truck). Let me know what you decide on and what you think. Check out bobistheoilguy.com it has a lot (I mean A LOT) of info about oil

·
Registered
460 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Yeah that TDR article is like picking your favorite beer based on the ingredients list, not on how it taste.

Virgin Oil Analysis (VOA) in API certified lubes is little more than an exercise of lab equipment. Used Oil Analsis (UOA) actually tell you have the engine is doing and how well the lube is working and even a very causal review of UOAs (bobistheoilguy.com has a bunch) will show CJ-4 oils do just fine in all regards and the CI-4 hysteria makes about as much sense as the Dutch Tulip Bubble. IMHO of course...

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
i run Amsoil all year...5w-40 since 30k...now truck has 120,xxx miles...luv the Amsoil !!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I really think I am going to run the Delo 400. Just wish I could find something other than the LE but based on the knowledge rufushusky has shared I will be fine going with the LE.

However, I may try the Lucas 15-40 pre 2007 engines since they carry it at a local truck stop. Haven't decided yet.

This weekend is coolant flush; following weekend is oil change.

:thumb:

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Lucas oil sucks......but their tranny fix-in-a-bottle is a f'in miracle lol!

I use MC from Wally, truck runs great.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I just found this in my hunt for CI-4+ oils...straight off AMSOIL's site:

SAE 15W-40 Heavy-Duty Diesel and Marine Motor Oil Product Code: AMEQT-EA

"Engineered for pre-2007 diesel engines in on-road applications as well as all model year diesel engines in off-road applications. High 12 TBN controls acids from combustion blow-by and EGR. Additives control soot thickening, oxidation and wear. Extended drain capabilities reduce downtime and motor oil expenses. "

Basically this and the Lucas Oil are the only two that seem to be made with pre-2007 diesel engines in mind. I am more apt to go with this than the Lucas Brand. However, it is pretty pricey @ 142.60 for 4 gallons or 138.75 for 15 qts where the Lucas can be bought online for 15.99 per gallon. My local Loves sells it for 25.99 per gallon.

I am still stuck on the CI-4 stuff for our engines after reading numerous articles about CJ-4 stuff and older engines. If I had to use a CJ-4 it would be Delo 400 LE or Rotella T6 5w-40.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Whatever floats your boat man. IMHO ci-4+ is little more than marketing ploy.

Amsoil makes a few ci-4 oil and they are good but $$$$$$

·
Registered
550 Posts
I put 15w-40 Royal Purple in my truck on my last oil change. It seems to idol and run a little better now.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ordered my Amsoil today. Purchased the $10 prefered membership and it knocked around $30 off my order.

:woot:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Tractor Supply has Rottella T6 on sale for $19.99 and Pep Boys will price match. No other parts house will. Running 5/40 in my 6.0 and it's much quieter and happier. I would assume a 7.3 would like it too.
oreillys matched me. i told them walmart had it 1999 and he didnt even ask for proof or hasal me. he just ok 1999 a gallon. they were asking 2799.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts