Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 6.0 truck quit working so I took it to Ford and they told me the oil pump was bad 1350.00 installed minus core. They then said that the top end of the motor would most likely need replaced because it was dry'd out do to bad oil pump. In that case the bill would be more than the truck is worth. Is this a common issue or does anyone care to shed some light on the situation? I thought of replacing the engine with a 12 valve that I have instead of another 6.0, good idea or bad idea idk.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
If you suspect top end damage [lifters useually] take out your oil filter and tear it open and look for metal in the pleats or just look in the bottom of the filter houseing with a flash light and look for shiney glitter LOL

Frankly it is a could be situation if you ran long enough it could happen.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I assume you mean the High pressure oil pump for the injectors, and not the low pressure oil pump. the high pressure one has some updated fittings for the oil connections. ie updated stc fitting.
You can change that without tearing into the upper engine ie heads etc. You need to pull turbo and intake out to do it.
Not sure what the dealer meant by saying the topend of the engine would be too "dryed out" by bad high pressure oil pump.. the only thing the high pressure oil pump feeds is the injectors... and you can change them separate if needed...
I would find another dealer or a private mechanic to do the work for you. look up some videos on you tube about it and read up on it here. there are several threads on it etc.
Good Luck,
Thanks,
Deo

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
You need to get a clarification on whether they want to replace the high pressure oil pump or low pressure oil pump. If it's the HPOP I highly doubt that it's actually the pump that's bad. If it's the LPOP then something probably went through it to cause it to fail. I'm guessing HPOP because of the core charge. They are VERY reliable on the 05-07 trucks. Usually it's the STC fitting on the pump that fails and needs replaced. You need to talk to the technician and have him be VERY specific on why he wants to replace the HPOP. Sounds to me like they are taking you for a ride and it's not in your truck.

As Deo said, I'd be finding another dealer or a recommended repair shop to fix your truck. Check in your state chapter for recommendations

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you suspect top end damage [lifters useually] take out your oil filter and tear it open and look for metal in the pleats or just look in the bottom of the filter houseing with a flash light and look for shiney glitter LOL

Frankly it is a could be situation if you ran long enough it could happen.
It has them but I have had real diesel engines show the same thing from normal wear tho. Ford told me it was top end damage more than likely. I just parked the truck for now until I have the time and money to fix it. I will probably start with the oil pump not sure which one off the top of my head. If that doesn't work I will put a reman into it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts