Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend has a 2005 F 250 that went in for a warrentee turbo replacement. When he got it back they said they reprogramed the computer to run the oil pump a few seconds after shut down to cool the turbo. Or thats what he recalls. You can here something running after shut down, thought the oil pump was mechanical? They add an electric pump? Is it worth the trip to add one?

·
Registered
597 Posts
both the oil pumps on the 6.0 are mechanical, where would be no way to "reprogram" the PCM to run these pumps. Either your friend was mistaken, or the dealer was blowing smoke.... The best think to prevent "oil coking" on the turbo bearings is to let your truck cool down for at least one minute before shutdown. The exhaust temp should be less than 400 degrees. If you don't have a EGT guage, or a remote "turbo timer" then the easiest, but less convenient thing to do is just let the truck idle for at least one minute, and sometimes up to 2 if you have been driving it hard, then shut it down.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Maybe they reprogrammed the PCM, and told him to run the truck for a few minutes to let the oil pumps cool down the turbo??

·
Registered
380 Posts
Maybe they reprogrammed the PCM, and told him to run the truck for a few minutes to let the oil pumps cool down the turbo??

I think you're on to something here. ;)

·
Registered
597 Posts
That could be the "buzz" on the injectors. There was a PCM calibration that did that during shutdown, but that's not really anything to do with the turbo.........

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was confused, I thought both oil pump were mechanical, had not seen any after market electric ones and even if there was the dealer wouldnt have put one on free. The sound is louder under the truck, I first thought it was coming from the fuel filter area. But thinking about it, it could have been injectors, hood was closed so the sound could have been directed downward.Why would the injectors be "buzzed"?

·
Banned
71 Posts
!

There is an old tune from Ford that buzzed the injectors to try and remidy cold start issues. It didnt help and they got rid of it. Thats the only thing that should/could buzz after the truck is shut off. If that is what it is I would get it reprogramed.

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
^^ what he said.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts