Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While cranking there is a hard spot, and blue smoke when it did start. Engine run ok for a few minutes, seemed to be running good except for oil smoke, then quit running. While checking it out i noticed oil running out exhaust. I checked the turbo as it is the first culprit and turbo seems to be OK. The engine acts like it is locking up, I suspect hydrostatic lock. My question is it possible for oil in the hydraulic injector to go through combustion cycle and out exhaust?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes that would be some handy info there. 2005 6.0. Some more info. I just put reman heads with ARP studs on it about 50 miles ago. As soon as I started the engine I had a valve spring keeper explode and just pure luck it did not suck the valve in. I was able to get it all back together with new keepers and an exhaust rocker. It was running perfect until it started running rough, blue smoke and then quit. Let the engine set for a day and it will start, for a little while. It will quit and when you crank the eng over it locks up. In my line of thinking, the closest source of that much oil is the injector. Or could there be a awww crap on the head gasket?

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I'm thinking you've got a bad injector. If it leaks down in a day ad will fire back up, you're looking at probably a cracked injectors nozzle or something along those lines. Hopefully it's not a cracked head.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is definitely not fuel, too thick. As for cracked head. I pray that is not it. I know how much labor it is to get back to the heads. They are reman heads, does not guarantee there is not a problem. I was told they were not welded heads. I bought them from my normal supplier, I find out after the fact that he did not get them from his normal source, but had out sourced them to another vendor. I am really not a happy camper right now. Too many people in the supply chain to make a warranty claim (if that is where it goes) everyone will point the finger to the next. Why I do not like buying stuff like that. Fortunately I do have insurance, maybe I can go that route. 17 years without a single claim I don't see where they should fuss too much.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Pull glow plugs and see which cylinder has fuel running out of it.
^^^this.

i suppose its possible for an injector to lose the seals completely and leake high pressure oil, but it seems like thats unlikely here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info. Not looking good. What just jerks my chain is that I did not cut corners on this job. I really wanted it to go good as the customer is the county, and I am trying to get all their work. I added the studs. Did a lot of other work while I was in there just to make sure I did not have problems. The only weak link on this is the heads. I do not know the supplier due to my supplier outsourcing them. Looks like I am going to have to deal with my insurance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the info. Not looking good. What just jerks my chain is that I did not cut corners on this job. I really wanted it to go good as the customer is the county, and I am trying to get all their work. I added the studs. Did a lot of other work while I was in there just to make sure I did not have problems. The only weak link on this is the heads. I do not know the supplier due to my supplier outsourcing them. Looks like I am going to have to deal with my insurance.
I wouldn't rush right off and deal with insurance just yet. First, you dont have enough of the symptoms of a cracked head. While its possible, its not probable - yet. My first thought would be to pull glow plugs first as previously mentioned. If its hydrolocked you may or may not have pressurized fuel leak out as you remove the glow plug(s). If you do, great, if not then turn it over and see what you get out and which hole. My guess is that it really is fuel and although thick at the tailpipe, that most likely is fuel soaked soot. Its very common to see the cardinal sin committed when installing injectors. The hold down bolt hole must be clean and dry. If oil is in the bolt hole, the bolt will torque tight, then the engine warms up, the oil seeps out around the bolt and next thing ya know you've got a loose bolt which leads to loose injector hopping up out of its seat and fuel entering the cylinder hydrolocking it. I'd look there first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts