·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done installing stage 1 full force injectors
I did suck all oil out and turned engine over multiple times by hand
At the same time I rebuilt my turbo and did the ebpv delete and ww2 install
I thought all went well during the install
Was busy with work so didn't get to install tunes and try to start the truck until a week after install
Well truck of coarse took awhile to start but thought that was due to air in the system
Truck did have small amount of white smoke at first but within minutes it cleared up and truck sounded good
Then I let it warm up some and then hit the throttle to see a bunch of grey smoke come at the exhaust
Truck kept smoking
Got to looking and oil was pouring out my exhaust
So hurried and shut the truck off
It was already 1-2 quarts low
I panicked and thought I messed on turbo rebuild
Pulled turbo
Went through and found nuthing wrong
Installed the turbo today
Now can't get the truck to start...
Someone please give me a direction?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I just got done installing stage 1 full force injectors
I did suck all oil out and turned engine over multiple times by hand
At the same time I rebuilt my turbo and did the ebpv delete and ww2 install
I thought all went well during the install
Was busy with work so didn't get to install tunes and try to start the truck until a week after install
Well truck of coarse took awhile to start but thought that was due to air in the system
Truck did have small amount of white smoke at first but within minutes it cleared up and truck sounded good
Then I let it warm up some and then hit the throttle to see a bunch of grey smoke come at the exhaust
Truck kept smoking
Got to looking and oil was pouring out my exhaust
So hurried and shut the truck off
It was already 1-2 quarts low
I panicked and thought I messed on turbo rebuild
Pulled turbo
Went through and found nuthing wrong
Installed the turbo today
Now can't get the truck to start...
Someone please give me a direction?
Was there oil in your up-pipes when you pulled the turbo?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Totally normal bud. Freaked me out the first time I did injectors too.

The oil that drains from the rails finds it's way into your exhaust and needs to be burned off.
It will be grossly smokey, so find a backroad and hammer on I a bit

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
As for not starting, there will still be a ton of air in the system. How hard have you tried to start it?
When I do injectors I like to let it run for at least 10 minutes in the driveway, and then take it for a bit of a rip. That was I know it will start the next time I ask it to, but even then it may take a little extra cranking

·
Registered
1 Posts
How long does it take to burn off the oil? I did my injectors today as well. First two times I tried to crank it over, the engine made a clunk and didn't want to turn over, but the third was normal. Took a while to start but when it did it sounded great. I did the injector test by disconnecting the cable and the idle got rough so I know it's working properly, (or that's what I've read). I went to back it out of the garage and there is a lot of oil leaking out of my muffler. No smoke or rough running, but just a good bit of oil. How do I determine if it's something I did, or normal?

Thanks in advance.

Tommy

·
Registered
747 Posts
Mine idled without smoke. As soon as I started driving and putting a load on it it smoked like crazy for about 5-10 minutes. So find some back roads and beat on it.

·
Vendor
12,883 Posts
Yup, what they said. You may even have some oil drip out of where the up pipe connect to the exhaust manifolds. Check your oil level though to be sure you didnt mess up a seal on the turbo rebuild.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
^ monitor your oil like Corey said ... If oil level continues to drop you messed up a turbo seal and/or seals... Otherwise drive that rig around and work the air out of the system and clean the leftover oil out.. 😎

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
By the way whenever reinstalling these injectors... I always turn the motor over by hand until I don't see any oil dripping out of the cylinders whatsoever! Just a little bit can cause a devastating hydrolock (bending rods and breaking piston rings) !!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I install the injectors leave the glow plugs out or remove if you haven't.

Put the valve cover gaskets on minus the harness

Throw the valve covers on with a couple bolts

Key OFF jump the starter solenoid or right on the battery turn it over 3 - 4 times for 15 to 20 secs each

If you got time wait a couple minutes for oil to drain off the valve covers

Pull the valve covers

Bam no more oil in them sillyenders!

You know the rest.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am curious how yall know when the lower injector bolt is tight enough? Feels like its gonna break. Cannot get a good hammer blow on 7 or 8 so I just tighten then wait tighten and wait.
Now I am pulling them cuz she started smokin after 600mi pulled the covers and cranked a couple injector bolts a full turn...either that or
the highly polished cups a worked so hard on are not clean enuff?

·
Hate stupid people
8,517 Posts
7-7-16 was the last update on this thread before your initial post

Maybe start a new thread?
I've always just tightened until it felt tight and never had any loose. sometimes you've gotta get creative and do short throws on the 7/8

1 - 12 of 12 Posts