Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got mine back yesterday and the shop originally told me it was going to be the pedestal but after getting in there to it they said it was the oil cooler o-rings. Haven't had time to check it cause I've been using it yesterday and today but now it's parked on a surface that I will be able to check in the morning.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Just wanted to say that I took my truck to rosewood and he said front main rear main and aftermarket pan is leaking. And don't shoot the rear main down because every single diesel tech I have spoken with say rear mains DO IN FACT go. Everyone on here seems to think otherwise. no oil on back of engine or up top just around rear main.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
For every 1 guy that comes back and says it's actually the rear main, there is easily 20 that find the problem elsewhere. Rear main is also the hardest thing to check. You told us you had oil in the valley, so thats the logical starting point.

You also can't see any of the back of the block with the transmission in, the valley drain goes inside the trans as the trans case goes right up to the valley.

Sucks for you that it actually was the rear main though.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
revisiting some old posts and Just wanted to give some last input on it. I fixed an exhaust leak, and took it out. Well i must have accidentally hit the dipstick tube nut and it started leaking. Well i have another car to drive so i said screw it, im done with the leaks. I pulled the engine. Resealed the oil cooler, new rear main, oil pump(front main comes installed on them) resealed pan, new nut and tube, valve covers, a whole bunch of crap. Well im glad to say, IT DOESNT LEAK ANYTHING ANYWHERE!!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
mine is currently leaking from an oil rail plug on the top passenger side head where i believe a HPX line would go. ive been searching since last night on what those little plugs are called and if they are a common leak or even known to leak at all and ive come up with nothing so far... not even what them suckers are technically called! no where ive looked even acknowledges their existence aside from HPX install write ups and they dont get into detail about em.

BUT it barely looked like it was leaking oil either which is why i wanted to mention. my leak is coming down the back of the head around the passenger side fuel line and down my transmission adapter. it kind of looks like a pan gasket seal until you notice the oil is coming from higher up. my valley/pedestal is rather dry as well, but somewhat behind the exhaust housing on the valley it is damp.

it really didnt look like it was for sure leaking until you noticed on the rtv oversplooge for the passenger side intake plenum, oil was building up and most certainly leaking from the high pressure port plug bolt thing.

it also has kind of a hard start and miss when you first start it because i think this leak bleeds off too much pressure in the rail at least until it warms up a little and receives enough throttle to actuate icp and increase pressure enough to balance things out..

figured i should share this since it seems to be such a rarely discussed thing.. people could have these little bastadoros leaking after changing pedestal o rings, hpop stuff, or worse oil pan seal or rear main.... and worse than that (on the wallet), having a shop do it every time.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
The plugs are the oil gallery plugs. They are size #5 orb. Just find any hydraulic shop and they should have them. Pull the plug. Replace the oring and put the pull back in. I keep two three on the truck.

·
Registered
133 Posts
yeah but the 4 big plugs on the front/back of the heads are called galley/gallery plugs arent they? when you look up either of them, these are the plugs people are having the troubles with. i mean the plugs on top of the oil rail just above the intake plenums that can be used as HPX lines or extra hpop lines

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
That's what I've always called them. The oring I gave you will fix the problem.

·
Registered
68 Posts
OK - I'm in the OIL LEAK CLUB now too...Rebuilt fuel bowl and changed HP oil lines and added a HPX. Changed fuel lines etc. All good to go - put it all back together and it was freaking Niagara Falls out of the back. Appeared to be the pedestal. Now - new pedestal - deleted the EBP valve - new turbo while I was at it. All back together yesterday - OIL AGAIN. Took it ALL back out after I got one of those cameras and searched back in there and then felt around. Was the pedestal (upper) between the turbo and pedestal. All I can think is I did not line up the rings correctly. I can say I am getting good at it as this will be number 3 of putting it back together!

Questions:
-I read to torque the turbo to the pedestal at 35-37 - confirm?
-Biggest question right now...may sound nuts, but I am sick of putting it back together 100%...IS THERE A WAY to not totally put it back together to start it and check...??? Maybe the spider on , but no intercoolers...not even the spider????...hell, just tossing it out there as I am dreading the point where I start it and wait - AGAIN!

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Yeah. Just install the turbo and start it up. You can leave everything off. Just make sure you don't let anything fall down the intake plenums.

Reactions: MajorDave

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well, I am outta the oil leak club for now - maybe I am an "inactive member" for now! All back together. Went VERY SLOW. Pedestal in, put turbo in - torqued it to 37. Got camera in and checked it. As I was torquing it, it did finally make a loud, click - adjustment - and then it lined up...think it was hung up in the back with the down tube. No leak there at all, but then noticed the HP Oil line going into the head was leaking. Great! Luckily - that just needed to to be tightened. All back together and running fine. Just cost me time, but gained some good experience/practice!

Thanks sbluke...

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
To be honest, I don't ever torque down the turbo. I do torque the pedestal usually. I have done it plenty of times with no torque wrench though. Happy you got it figured out

21 - 33 of 33 Posts