Should I still buy it? See post below

• Yes. It’s part of owning a 6.0

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Run away dude.

Votes: 0 0.0%
2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  wforinger 
#1 ·
Good evening Everybody,
I’m new here so I’m not sure how quick folks reply to these. I’m looking at buying this 04 6.0. The current owner recently did just about everything needed to “Bulletproof” it and has all the receipts from the shop that did the work. It’s a sweet truck and I plan on buying it. I test drove it on Thursday on my way out of town. On my way back in town today, I decided to stop and look at it again. I noticed this leak snapped a few photos. There’s not a ton of oil but it was certainly noticeable. Is this just to be expected and accepted on these puppies? He said the shop that just did all of the work took a look at it and wasn’t at all concerned. They said it was minimal. I fully believe the seller as he has been transparent and helpful. I want to know Yalls thoughts on this. Should I be concerned?
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Grey Wood

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Auto part

See less See more
#6 ·
I think "some" is to be expected. Acceptance is up to you. One way to track it down would be to clean the bajeebers out of everything and then watch it carefully. It doesn't look like you 'major' leak(s). As stated above, it all flows downward. I think if it's not pouring oil, it runs good, drives well, I don't know I'd abandon ship on it. "Stuff" can be fixed. That's my input.

#8 ·
Quite a lot on the ground -- I would expect a drip or 2 on the engine -- but none on the ground
still, ...that stuff can be fixed and should

Need to look with a good light on the top of the engine -- then wash the engine off and run it some while looking for the source

Pulling the fender liners will help you to see the sides of the engine
glow plug harness and valve covers are accessible there

#10 ·
Quite a lot on the ground -- I would expect a drip or 2 on the engine -- but none on the ground
still, ...that stuff can be fixed and should

Need to look with a good light on the top of the engine -- then wash the engine off and run it some while looking for the source

Pulling the fender liners will help you to see the sides of the engine
glow plug harness and valve covers are accessible there
Thank you a ton. I’ll be sure to pull them and dig in with a light.

#13 ·
My 04 has what appears to be the same exact problem. 3 oil changes ago (I do my own minor maintenance & repairs), I noticed the oil leak in the same areas depicted by the OP. I always measure the oil drained & found that this time I was nearly 1/2 qt low.
Took it to my mechanic (retired Ford technician now the owner of a large reputable shop with a long wait to get a truck in for service).
He has been my exclusive mechanic since I bought this truck new.
After he cleaned it up & ran it, he discovered it weeping at the bed plate gasket & no where else.
His advice (“if it were his”), keep an eye on the dipstick & ground, & live with it till it becomes a major leak, or address it the next time the cab needs to be pulled for another unrelated issue.
His estimate to do the work at that point was 4K.
This is my work rig & no longer parks on a customer driveway or sidewalk. And I keep a vigilant eye on the dipstick, ground, & drained oil quantities. The subsequent oil changes have not shown any increased losses in quantity & the truck has a little over 225k on the clock. Approximately 16k since I had my mechanic diagnose the leak.

#12 ·
On both of my trucks, I see oily dirt caked around that same area. It’s light though and doesn’t drip on the ground. Even when the bedplate was leaking on the 04, I never saw a drip. My Master Tech friend and me pulled the motor and resealed the bottom end. During that project, he showed me why they leak. It’s a wonder they all don’t leak. The seal design and repair procedure seem… problematic.

We used some kind of anaerobic sealer on the surfaces and then TA-31 at the joints. Too much TA-31 and you’ll distort the seals upon torquing. I recall Eric talking about not mixing the two sealants. It seems like there is a lot of room for error when making this repair. I can see it is starting to seep again.

I don’t like leaks but tolerate some seeping as long as it isn’t all over wiring/harnesses as they will degrade as a result. I don’t ever like to see oil on the ground.

I agree with @Hydro… seems like a lot of oil on the ground.

#15 · (Edited)
After years of history on the 6.0L, there are MANY threads and resources on oil leaks. Any and all are possible, and somewhat common

ICP sensor
Cam and crank sensors
Glow plug boots
CAC tube boots
Front main seal
Rear main seal
Rocker carrier
Dipstick tube
Oil cooler gaskets
Cracked rear cover (on 05+ engines)
HPOP cover
Turbo oil feed and return
Bed plate
Misc Covers (valve cover, oil pan, breather)

Sometimes leaking diesel can make a mess and look like oil leakage.

Plus one on removing the wheel well liners - that probably would be a big help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.