Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 f 250 with 7.3 It has a stream of oil coming out over top of starter where it bolts up. It will empty oil in about 10 min. at idle. It starts leaking after motor warms up. If i cut moter off it cranks for awhile before it while crank up. Need help can not find were it is coming from.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
First make sure it is not leaking from one of the high pressure hoses that run from the High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP) to each head. If one of those (or the joints for it) is leaking, it will drain into the engine valley and down the passenger side of the block. If that's not the problem, look at the back side of the passenger side head. There is a roughly 2" diameter plug with a 1/3" drive recess. This is the High Pressure Oil Rail End Plug. They are known to leak. There are also plugs at the front of each head as well. Cheers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
96 oil leak

Thanks for your reply I have checked the HP lines but there is not much oil in valley. It does not seem to add more when running.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Look at the oil rail end plug then (that would be the most likely culprit for a leak of that volume). Cheers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
96 oil leak

Thanks for the help I think I found it. One of the ports on the HPOP was lose a walled out. When I took out the adaptor the threads come out with it now I have to get a pump. I don't think theres no other fix.

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts
Was it the little one on the bottom?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oil leak

I also have an oil leak (s)
96 F350
After cleaning the engine, changing the oil and filter, there seems to be something causing a fair amount of blow by right under the turbo...????

also seems to be blow by when the oil fill cap is off AND when the dipstick is out of the tube.

A fair amount of oil comes out and drips from the top of the tranny area....

Any ideas?

Also----i replaced oil lines about 2 years ago (25K miles)
No oil in valley pan, seems to be going down exhaust and to the top of tranny.

AND, the truck is running a bit rougher, idling at around 650...related?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts