Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I had my inner tie rod ends replaced and wheel bearings repacked the mechanic wrote on the report that the front crankshaft seal and oil pan and oil drain plug were leaking. I tightened the oil drain plug another 1/8 of a turn and no more drip from there. Don't know why he didn't do that, but? I've been under the truck and have wiped down all around the pan and everywhere I saw oil that may be leaking. I went to look at it the next day and there was a small drip formed on the steering stabilizer shock and I mean small and that was the only place I could find any oil leak. I then put a container under where the leak is dripping and left it there for 5 days. I went to look at it today and there is maybe a teaspoon to tablespoon full of oil in the container. This was all done without running the motor. I think I know the answer but I've got nothing to worry about do I? Do I need to run the motor to see if the front seal leaks? I would think, after driving it home from the shop, there would be more of a drip showing if it was leaking . I can see oily, gunked up black crud around the oil pan where it mates with the block but no fresh oil signs anywhere except on that steering stabilizer shock. Thanks in advance for any comments.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
I'd clean the oil pan and oil cooler real well and trace the leak. If it's the oil pan seal then i'd keep an eye on it every once in a while.

If it's anything else then I would address it sooner than later.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts