Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Good catch on that filter cap zmann. New used 6.0, most important first. Get that cap replaced, new oil and fuel filters. Check oil level often, document and make sure it isn't rising, and no signs of water. Check coolant for type, oil contamination, and signs of burping. Need an obd2 electronic gauge to check your temp deltas. This engine must have healthy charged batteries. Weak batteries/alternator, jumpstarting = destroyed ficm. All very important.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I agree the cts3 is the bomb plus with the extras it will read fuel pressure and egts all in one package. For the initial assessment I would try to get out as cheap as possible, I use a scangauge2 $140 on Amazon. I think you could get out cheaper with obd2 bluetooth adap and Forscan. You just don't know yet but the truck may need an oil cooler, or head gaskets like now. Depending on financial situation, can get expensive fast.

·
Registered
298 Posts
When I got the car—- I changed oil at Valvoline with synthetic premium— they walked across the street to Napa to grab the oil filter; I personally changed out the fuel filters myself with motorcraft... They were ugly from sitting for 5-6 years... Pics of the filters below...
I also— removed, EGR sensor cleaned out + intake throat —per DieselTechRon (RIP brother), removed and replaced the ICP sensor OEM + Pigtail; removed the IPR sensor — cleaned + refurbed with Kit, and replaced old pigtail; in the middle of replacing the EBP sensor now and clearing out the pipe connected to the manifold— day one of spraying Aerokroil on the old connection— pipe looks good, but the nut on manifold looks nasty— so I am not chancing it breaking— just spraying it 4x a day— and lightly agitating it for movement— hopefully it will get the hint soon... Time to come off and be cleaned properly with my Gun Cleaning kit I have for the job— brass and copper abrasive fittings to jam down on there and clear the carbon out... Open to any and all suggestions— I’ve been drinking from a fire hose for the last two weeks. Removing all injectors and refurbishing them (ultrasonic cleaner on the way from harbor freight) and nipple / cup upgrade is in the mail for next week for the oil delivery + stand pipes... View attachment 770134 View attachment 770135 View attachment 770136 View attachment 770137
Filters look really bad. You got the egr valve looking good. Pull the intake and soak it for a week, put a new oil cooler in it. Egr delete fosho, no more black soot. You can pull that egr valve out in 5 years and it will look just as clean. Pull the heads and send them off, you'll be about done then. I forgot, sct tuner and call gearhead.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.