Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Oil in my intake manifold - clean it?

7K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  gephro 
#1 ·
Since I have my intake off I wanted to clean it up - the outside is easy but inside there's lots of oil. Should I clean it or just let it ride? If cleaning it, what's the best method to get it all out? Because we'd be talking at least 20 cans of brake cleaner (and I hate huffing that stuff). De-greaser doesn't have any effect unless it's brushed, and getting a brush all up in there is near impossible.

See less See more
#3 ·
It's not soot - just old oil. I think it is from a previous turbo issue. Looking at the piping for the turbo when I removed it, there was a little oil after the turbo but I believe that's normal. And it was pretty clean. This stuff has been in here a long time I think.

#4 ·
I have not cleaned these intakes, but used a long narrow flexible brush to clean others. Last time I bought a brush it was the dryer vent brush from WalMart. That and a lot of purple power.

I would not recommend this because I have not tried it, but I’ve heard of guys bringing these to the wash your own car car washes and using a combination of the high pressure water hose and spray soap. Again, I’d get that rumor verified before trying it.

#5 ·
The CCV system puts oil into the intake.

The best way to clean it is to remove the intake manifold and pressure wash it with degreasers/soap .... or a hot tank chemical bath.

#6 ·
A balmy 52f tomorrow - maybe I'll bust out the pressure washer. At least to knock the big chunks out. I've pulled everything off the intake so there's nothing left to break with a pressure washer. Then follow up with a long session with brushes and degreaser. I was hoping for a magical easy solution, but alas, no. Thanks for the feedback.

#7 ·
I have had really good luck breaking up nasty tough grease with LA's Finest. I would soak it in LA's for a day then rinse it out with as much water pressure you can muster from your hose. I have cleaned intakes like this before. It takes time and maybe a couple of soaks depending on how clean you want it.

Reactions: bismic
#8 ·
Thanks - do you mean "LA's Totally Awesome"? I can't find anything beyond a TV show for LA's Finest. I'm not familiar with (either) but I see the LA's Totally Awesome on Amazon. Just want to be sure before I grab some. I ordered a siphon for my blow-gun and after a soak, maybe that stuff would work real good in that. The siphon on my power washer doesn't work unless I use the low-pressure nozzle, so it's not that useful.
Not sure if I can post a link to the amazon product but here is the LA's Totally Awesome stuff: Amazon.com: 128 Fl Oz Refills, 1 Bottle Original - La's Totally Awesome All Purpose Concentrated Cleaner Degreaser Spot Remover Cleans Everything Washable As Seen on Tv,Pack of 1: Health & Personal Care

#10 ·
lol - just got a couple quarts of it and will give it a shot. Can't beat the price

#11 ·
Would be great if we could get a couple of pics to include what the cleaning is like and the after pic also.

Thanks

#12 ·
I dropped mine off at my local powercoating shop. They soaked it in there aluminum safe bath which they use to prep parts for coating. Castic baths will eat aluminum if not formulated for aluminum. Then threw it in there polisher. Turned out great, inside and out! Oil from the crankcase breather and soot from EGR.

#17 ·
I have one I let soak in our parts cleaner at our shop that's nice and clean. Happy to let it go for $100.
At the start, had I known what a PITA this was to clean up, I'd of been all over your offer. Now I'm committed and it's starting to finally improve, though my driveway isn't looking too good :)

Something that may help, not sure, is from the gun collector world. A lot of military surplus guns come in thick sticky cosmoline. A diesel works pretty well for stripping it off, as does boiling.
I'm probably going to do a round of diesel using the siphon blowgun today.

I think I've gone over this thing like 6 times thus far; wet from head to toe and covered with dirty oil spots every time I finish. Fun. Next time, just take it in and get dipped. Lesson learned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.