Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the motorhome (2004 6.0 E-450) for a weekend camping trip about an hour from my home. Today, before leaving to come home I did what I always do, have a look at the coolant. Shocked to find a little bit of oil floating around in the degas bottle. This is shortly after doing the comprehensive flush with Restore and Restore Plus, now running ELC coolant. I assume I ruptured my oil cooler during the hour drive to the campground on Friday, I don't know if the flush had anything to do with it or not. No real option but to drive it home from the campground so I did. Temps driving home weren't good but always less than the 15 degree delta, usually it was around 13. It was about an hour drive. Truck drove great coming home, same as always although I babied it to be sure. When I got home I looked at the degas bottle, it had about a pint or 2 more liquid in there, oil I'm sure. I am going to have the bulletproof remote oil cooler and egr cooler installed as soon as I can get the motorhome to the shop I have choosen to do the work. Here's my questions: 1) can I drive it the hour to the shop? 2) can I be sure this is not a blown head gasket 3) what else should I have done while they are in there?

Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, I had it towed. They have already been working on it. I am installing the BPD remote oil cooler. It looks like the old oil cooler was just starting to go, ie I caught it early. There was only a very small amount of oil in the coolant. Had I not looked in the degas bottle I may have continued to drive until catastophic failure.

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
Good to hear. You won't have any issues after you get the BPD oil cooler installed. I've been happy with mine since it was installed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts