Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nearly there - new injectors, glowplugs and was ready to replace STC fitting but someone had been there before. Must had dumped a few crumbs under the HPOP oil cover and had a blocked IPR screen - replaced that (diagnosed with autoenginuity) maybe need to go in and do another screen replace and wondered if I change the oil - and replace the ipr with an IPR dummy with air fitting (which I used to pressure test the oil rails) - what if I click in an air hose fitting - but put the end of the hose to a bucket and crank - I assume oil would flood out of the hose and I can flush the entire HPOP system?

Crank (refilling as necessary) until the oil is brand new and clear (thx NAPA oil sale).

Anyone done that?

Just wonderin...

Thx

~Zip

yeah, I know but spare me the idiot remarks please..... (but i am really good at getting to the IPR valve now!)

·
Compression Ignition Addict
9,390 Posts
Dumping any debris under the HPOP cover doesn't get debris in the high pressure oil system. It drains to the crankcase.

How did you diagnose a plugged up screen?

The IPR valve is a dump valve. If the inlet to the valve plugs up (ie the screen), then theoretically the ICP pressure will be higher than desired.

It is when the debris goes through the screen and into the valve and causes it to "stick open" is when the ICP pressure is lower than desired.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
originally I had a hot crank no start and I saw the IPC pressure drop as the oil warmed - let it cool - started OK.

Got the valve covers off both sides and did and IPR air pressure test. #6 injector leaking. As #8 had failed a month or two ago (270k miles), I replaced all injectors, dummy and standpipes and glowplugs (ICP was new). Did air test - all seemed OK. Took turbo off to replace STC fitting - someone had been there before and put a new one on, put it back together and started 'er up.

First OK and then autoenginuity showed, icp maxxing at 800 IPR 84. Either an oil leak or plugged IPR screen. Drivers side valve cover off, IPR screen had some muck in it. Replaced it, checked injector torque, all good, air test all good. Put it back together - ran just fine, but gradually the desired Pressure and the actual pressure spread, IPR @ 84, not enough to spin the turbo. ICP now maxxing at 1200 (improvement) when computer calling for 2400, ipr @ 84 (did a job hauling 8k lbs, 14' trailer) worked OK - no turbo.

So... either an oil leak on passenger side (have not touched since new injectors) or IPR screen plugged (but not as badly as before) or - something I do not know about yet....

Thought I would check the IPR screen first. Problem will be ... what if it is clean... evidence points to oil leak. But I concentrate on not worrying about things that may or may not happen - so check out the ipr screen first.

Any thoughts or guidance are very much welcome....

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I'm not sure I'm following this. The IPR is a Regulator of sorts, it has nothing to do with the turbo. If you had no boost, you'd be billowing black smoke and the truck wouldn't really be drivable.
Pull the Ipr out and clean it. There are plenty of YouTube videos that show how to do this. The o-rings on the ipr should be in good shape too.
As far as the turbo goes, check the map hose and port for cracks and/or clogging. If that checks out then you're looking at diagnostics of the turbo itself, most likely the vgt system inside the turbo.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you understand what it means regarding the IPR valve being a dump valve?
Thx CIA - I was going down a rathole... I guess an IPR valve failure would show the same thing - PCM asking it to close but it not closing (ie debris and clogging the ipr valve after a screen failure - I have no idea what happens when the IPR can't dump because of a blocked but not torn filter.... ) but I don't think this is the case here. Odds are an oil leak on the passenger side (the drivers side has been rechecked). thx for prompting me to think about it...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure I'm following this. The IPR is a Regulator of sorts, it has nothing to do with the turbo. If you had no boost, you'd be billowing black smoke and the truck wouldn't really be drivable.
Pull the Ipr out and clean it. There are plenty of YouTube videos that show how to do this. The o-rings on the ipr should be in good shape too.
As far as the turbo goes, check the map hose and port for cracks and/or clogging. If that checks out then you're looking at diagnostics of the turbo itself, most likely the vgt system inside the turbo.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk
The problem is/was (I think) that I could not squirt enough fuel into the cylinders to spark the turbo up (probably because of a high pressure oil leak). I replaced injectors, glowplugs, dummy plugs and standpipes, looked at the HPOP and saw that the STC fitting had been upgraded (and so didn't touch it) I did not tinker with the oil cooler. I think the next step is to look at the Passenger oil rail and check etc (I think)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK - I can close this out now. Thanks to Compression Ignition Addict, I rethought my approach re the IPR valve and my previous thoughts did not make sense..... as 6riders picked out.

Having tested the drivers side, I hoped to do the passenger side. Got the IPR out so I could air test it but struggled to get the air test on in. I gave up and stripped both sides down to the oil rail. In removing the air box, I saw the intercooler cool side tube had blown off (so that was the thud - I was basically stationary and I though it might have been suspension / rocks on the gravel road...).

Got the air test valve in and as the motor had been running - no leak at all - it was silent (there was hissing when the new injectors were installed but no oil in them). Replaced the screen on the IPR valve - torqued it all up. carb cleaner and hairspray on the turbo tubes... Runs like a champ. I was chasing a few problems but I feel like I have a baseline now and should be good for a while. Thanks to all who prompted me to rethink - much appreciated.

~Zip

1 - 10 of 10 Posts