Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was goin to change my oil but i thought about goin from rotella 15-40 to delvac 10w-30. Any pointers or comments please.. thanks

·
War is the answer!
5,386 Posts
Why 10w30?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
133 Posts
oil

I second the choice for Amsoil, either the 5-30 Series 3000 or their 15-40 Marine oil. I have been using their products for over 20 years and have never been let down. Their products always work better than advertised.

Frank
:icon_ford

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
You want 40 weight oil in your 6.0 and most diesels. 5w40 helps on cold starts because it is a 5 weight when cold and 40 weight when warm. You have to be in extreme cold before you drop to a 30 weight oil, -30* and colder.

·
Registered
501 Posts

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
T6 rotella 5-40 is the best choice for 6.0 liter.
I have the BPD oil cooler and relocated oil filter. Is the T6 rotella 5-40 still recommended? I also have the Napa Gold oil filter 1832. Thx!,

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have the BPD oil cooler and relocated oil filter. Is the T6 rotella 5-40 still recommended? I also have the Napa Gold oil filter 1832. Thx!,

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide
I cant imagine an oil cooler changing a requirement of viscosity. Rotella T6 is the most cost effective synthetic out there. $21/gallon at Wally World.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've been using 10w-30 for a few years with excellent UOA results.

For as long as I own a 6.0 its the only viscosity lube I'll use.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
I hate changing the end weight of oil. Tolerances are specific to motors and oil compliments how that motor is built. 5/40 is tested and tried. And ya got to run racor or ford filters - bottom line. There is proof of that all over the place.

I would run a 30w oil if I was one of the northern friends or on an iceberg

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
I have always used Motorcraft 15w-40 powerstroke oil. Easy 5 quart jugs and is cheap at Walmart. Works good for me.
Drink the coolaid man!!! Many improvements in diesel oil since our manuals were written. switch the the 5 synthetic, the old lady will wake up better in the am!

Easy 4 quart jugs at walmart for $20! 3 and 3 qurts!

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
correct me if im wrong but i have heard the motorcraft oil filters are only required if you still run the stock set up... The truck currently has a Baldwin B5134 on it with the BPD oil cooler kit. Thx again for the help. :icon_ford:

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Yes, talking about stock setup.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
correct me if im wrong but i have heard the motorcraft oil filters are only required if you still run the stock set up... The truck currently has a Baldwin B5134 on it with the BPD oil cooler kit. Thx again for the help. :icon_ford:
100% correct!!!! Didnt see you had cooler kit.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Oops my last post I mentioned the Baldwin filter, thats the one on my coolant system. The current oil filter on my truck is a Carquest 85832 but found the Napa 1832 as a cross reference. Thx again for the tips, I'm gonna fill her up with some T6 Rotella!!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
68 Posts
Oops my last post I mentioned the Baldwin filter, thats the one on my coolant system. The current oil filter on my truck is a Carquest 85832 but found the Napa 1832 as a cross reference. Thx again for the tips, I'm gonna fill her up with some T6 Rotella!!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Make sure you use motorcraft filter.

·
Premium Member
10,273 Posts
Recently went to Delo 400 5w40...I'm certain I'm getting 1+mpg gain off the switch. Just went 470+ miles leaving 1/4 left on a 38gal tank. I'm not sold it's a true 1+ but I'm not even filling up to the cap and getting these numbers.

Synthetics work for me with 217k on the original injectors. I'm a user!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts