Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently had O Ring heads, heavy duty Bulletproof oil cooler, Bulletproof water pump, Powermaxx turbo, O Dawg intake, EGR delete, degas bottle, regulated fuel return, remote oil filter, coolant filter, 4" exhaust, ARP head studs, aluminum intake elbow pipe, S&B cold air intake, lifters, standpipe, STC fitting updated push rods and Mini Maxx tuner. I have had some defueling occurring when pulling grades because of oil temp. Could this be a tune issue? I am still running stock injectors and using the tow tune on Mini Maxx.

·
Premium Member
8,094 Posts
Is your mini max set to defuel at a specific temp? With a BPD oil cooler (properly setup) you shouldn't have an oil temp problem

Reactions: jokester00

·
Registered
797 Posts
What temperature? Hot is a rather relative term.
I know a girl that's hot; and she ain't even a relative!!!! Sorry, OP, I just had to - blame it on being Friday.......tgif!

:backtotopic:

·
Premium Member
5,721 Posts
I don't think that hot oil is anything to worry about. Now, if it were really hot, that would be a different issue entirely...

·
Premium Member
3,740 Posts
Humor us with a numerical value - what's "hot" mean?

-jokester

Reactions: SparkyF250

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have had some defueling occurring when pulling grades because of oil temp.
If I remember correctly, defueling accurs approx 253 degrees. Your oil is getting this hot with the Bulletproof HD oilcooler(I’m assuming it’s an air/oil cooler)? Hard for me to believe this is happening. Didn’t catch where your at, but if your up north, do you use a grill cover thats still in place?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is set up to defuel at a specific temp. I am thinking it is 215. Unfortunately I am working out of town, spending a lot of time thinking about what to do. What would be a good defueling temp? Since I am not using a stock coolant/oil cooler is delta temp still a big concern?

·
Premium Member
3,740 Posts
Uhhh...that's no bueno if it is actually de-fueling. Definitely need to check your tuning. I can see 210-220 climbing a long, steep, winding logging road in the middle of the coast range during hunting. Or...it wasn't de-fueling and you have a different issue. Any stored DTC's?

De-fueling is normally somewhere north of 240!

-jokester

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It was my Mini Maxx defueling. Once the temp dropped it ran like a champ. Not sure what temps should be set in the tuner for defueling. Any recommendations on someone to adjust tunes on Mini Maxx?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Like Jokester00 said, and I’m the same, my oil temp during last summer just after changing to a bulletproof oil cooler was just north of 200 on the interstate. Outside temps were around 95+ degrees.

As far as the coolant/oil deltas, with an air/oil cooler, the delta is a non-issue since both are now separated and independent of each other.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What did your temps do pulling grades? my problem occurred in 95 degree temps in Wyoming pulling some grades. Not necessarily steep grades, but long grades. Pulling a 27' ultra light towable toy hauler with side by side.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
How are gauging the fact your “defueling”? Who told you 200-220 was hot? Google it, 220 is like the ideal oil temp for minimum wear. In my modded 6.0 towing heavy I’d run 250 for hours on end. I did go into limp mode loosing all power and wrench light came on when I was towing a heavy (too heavy ) trailer up the climb into flagstaff from the west, that happened at 278 degrees, as soon as it cooled down it restarted and no issue or light . I run a bunch of off road cars with fully built LS7s and LSX454s and we don’t even let up till 300+ then we try to let them cool but they can run low 300s. Your math is way off bro

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
If your running the BPD external cooler I wouldn’t have it defuel at oil for any oil temp. The only reason ford had it “begin” to defuel at 253 is because it was running through the oil/water cooler and heating the coolant to dangerous levels. Coolant needs to stay sub 230 to cool the heads. With a BPD air cooler you coolant stays cool and your oil is feee to get hot with no issue

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The defueling was set up by the shop that did the install. it happens in the mini maxx. It will take me from the tow mode to stock and I wont have a lot of power till the temp drops a bit. As soon as the oil cools a bit Mini Maxx goes back to tow mode and I am full power.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My engine temps are awesome. The added the remote coolant filter and got rid of the Ford Coolant. Pyros get a little hi but I'm not sure what is to hot. I have had this truck since 2008 and just barely did some mods to it.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
There's nothing wrong with an oil temp of 220. With the BPD external cooler I would see 238 or occasionally 242 towing up a 6% grade. I don't know why the shop set the defuel temp so low unless they fat fingered the value in or got an oil temp table confused with another vehicle. If you think its too hot, you can install a BPD 7.3 Mechanical Fan clutch and adapter. In 60 degree weather, flat and level, my temps did not get above 200. I have not yet towed up an extended grade hill and I have not yet towed in 110 degree temps.

For EGTs, I see 1100 to 1150 towing 11k and don't blink at that. Normal flat and level towing is 1050-1100. Going up a hill it may reach 1200-1250 briefly, if I see above that I will slow down, but that's only happened briefly, and I let off the gas and it goes right down. I have tried a new Y Pipe and adding a new exhaust gas manifold, but temps never went down. I'm convinced the only way to bring normal EGTs down is a turbo back larger exhaust, which with yearly emissions checks, I can't do, or adding a Meth injection and 5 gallon reservoir. Everything else I read about seems to work some or none of the time, like different turbos.. Too many different mods to get a guarantee.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts