Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would ask why you guys think my oil fill cap is starting to pit. Maybe it is just because it is old as hell and this is just normal. It just looks odd to me.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Gas Auto part

·
Compression Ignition Addict
9,425 Posts
I thought I would ask why you guys think my oil fill cap is starting to pit. Maybe it is just because it is old as hell and this is just normal. It just looks odd to me.

View attachment 779656
Please post what year your truck is.

I have also read of people having this happen when they insisted that they never set the cap on the battery,

My conclusion is that the battery possibility is a very valid possibility, but it might just be a bad run of plastic sent to the cap manufacturer.

Has your engine ever run extremely hot (ie an oil cooler failure, loss of coolant, water pump failure, etc?

·
9,425 Posts
I wonder if this is related to whatever caused your cap issue?

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please post what year your truck is.

I have also read of people having this happen when they insisted that they never set the cap on the battery,

My conclusion is that the battery possibility is a very valid possibility, but it might just be a bad run of plastic sent to the cap manufacturer.

Has your engine ever run extremely hot (ie an oil cooler failure, loss of coolant, water pump failure, etc?

2005 my.

It's a good possibility I put the cap on the battery. I just noticed it after having the truck for almost 14 years.

I did have an oil cooler failure almost 10 years ago.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could your battery be releasing more acid than just what is on the top of the battery?

Not sure. I replaced the batteries about two months ago but maybe this happened before and I didn't notice until now.

·
9,425 Posts
Sure could be. Sometimes the emitted battery acid is in a vapor form and can travel a bit - especially if it is very hot under the hood.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sure could be. Sometimes the emitted battery acid is in a vapor form and can travel a bit - especially if it is very hot under the hood.

That's interesting because when I replaced the batteries the terminals were corroded pretty badly. One is halfway eaten through.

·
Premium Member
11,050 Posts
I feel its just a bad batch of oil caps to be honest... My 2004 and 2006 f350 were the same but then the oil cap on my 1999 7.3l was just barley starting to look like that. I have seen it more often than not and whether they're old farm trucks, mall-crawlers or regular daily drivers they all seem to have the 50/50 split of odd ugly oil fil caps. I got a new one from Riffraff maybe 2018-2019 etc. It has a much glossier coating that may help resist the heat, oil and other factors causing it to degrade.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Mine never goes on the battery, and it isn't pitted at all. Not saying that's your issue, but probably doesn't help it...

-jokester

·
Registered
359 Posts
Personally I think is just the result of crap plastic. If battery acid affected plastic wouldn't the battery pit and fall apart too?

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
I also have an unfounded theory that somehow the pitting ties in with areas that use salt on the roads in the winter, but totally a hypothesis on my part.

Prove me wrong. Until then, I'm riding this horse till someone does 🤣

-jokester

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have owned this truck for almost 14 years and the cap always looked good until now. I'm going with the cap laying on the battery idea.

·
9,425 Posts
Based on your post above, it seems you are saying that this happened almost suddenly.

Just a couple of questions.
How long ago did you first notice it, and when can you say for sure that it had NO pitting?

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Based on your post above, it seems you are saying that this happened almost suddenly.

Just a couple of questions.
How long ago did you first notice it, and when can you say for sure that it had NO pitting?

It did seem to happen all of a sudden but it is possible that I never payed it close attention until I saw the yellow decal deteriorate.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
It did seem to happen all of a sudden but it is possible that I never payed it close attention until I saw the yellow decal deteriorate.

OR...you live in the Salt belt. I have chosen my hill to die on...prove me wrong 🤣

-jokester

Reactions: bismic and Spirit

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
OR...you live in the Salt belt. I have chosen my hill to die on...prove me wrong 🤣

-jokester
"The best defense is a good offense"...lol.

• Haha
Reactions: jokester00
1 - 20 of 20 Posts