Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s the torque on the oil drain plug?

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
10-4 I paint marked the OEM location and then put it back to that spot with a slightly more torque to it.

I love fords new drain plug design, the integrated gasket always seem to be the best in my years of car maintenance. Aluminum washer's are also pretty darn good.

Now on to my complaint. Why is the plug on the side??? OMG put the dang plug on the bottom, that way oil doesn't blast out hitting the rear axle. Also I'm not really a fan of the old school tractor engine oil spin on cartridge. I loved my 6.0 engine bay oil drop in cartridge, no mess and no crawling under there. Finally, the oil fill neck seems way to short, get that pig like a stack sticking out of the hood.

anywas, first oil change was pretty easy. Glad I got some good valvoline premium blue extreme 5w40 in her before the big cold snap starts next week.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Also I'm not really a fan of the old school tractor engine oil spin on cartridge. I loved my 6.0 engine bay oil drop in cartridge, no mess and no crawling under there
100% spot on there. I'm with you.

Why is the plug on the side??? OMG put the dang plug on the bottom, that way oil doesn't blast out hitting the rear axle.

Try turning the motor off next time. It will only splash on the cross member....LMAO

Finally, the oil fill neck seems way to short, get that pig like a stack sticking out of the hood.

Yep. I use either a filter or oil container to help control the flow.

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
at least the oil cartridge is in the vertical position. I'm used to changing Jeep oil filters. Them morons did a cartridge in the horizontal, huge mess all the time. I think next time I'm going to poke a hole in the 4 gallon oil filter so its not so messy.

But seriously, who's idea was it to put the plug on the side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally, my 6.0 could fit a 5 gallon bucket right under the oil pan, lol. This new 6.7 could but them dang 4 link suspension arms hang down lower than the chevy duramax DEF fluid tanks. Ugg, had to grab a storage bin cause I don't have a oil drain pan big enough to hold 13 quarts at mach 6.

glad to see I'm not the only one that crawled under there and was like....................ahhhhh what.

·
Registered
950 Posts
How soft we have become :hehe:
Grab a 3.5 gallon bucket instead of a 5. They typically use the same lids. Fits under a stock 4wd Super Duty. I use a VP race fuel can but that is because I want to get my moneys worth at $27 / gal.
Toss the plug in the parts bin and install a 90 degree Fumoto valve. It'll keep the oil from hitting your rear axle.

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oooooooooooo, i'll have to pick me up one of them 3.5 shorty buckets at menards next trip. Thanks for the tip.

I'll look into the sumo drain thing

·
Registered
883 Posts
I can confirm the F106N from Fumoto works on our 2017 F550 and our 2018 F350. The "N" is for the hose nipple, so the F106 works too if you don't want to hook a hose up to it. We use the hose to be cleaner. Bought them on Amazon.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
If you know anybody with a cat they may have a few of these... Holds 5-1/2 gallons and will slide under if you pull the front up onto a 2x6.
I haven't tried it, but I imagine an old, short cooler, with a removable top, would work as a good catch pan too - especially one with a drain plug on the bottom....

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used a square rubber maid tub with taller sides. Worked awesome

1 - 12 of 12 Posts