Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i'm anal on trying to use the best fluids and changing them more often then whats really necesary in most cases. Ford says on dino oil several duty 5,000 miles or 150hrs which ever comes first. Lot of the local guys around here change at 3,000. been using brad penn oil and 3k g changes shears to a 30 wait. iv been told alot about delvec 1300 and sticking to 5k changes any thoughts? thanks

·
Registered
435 Posts
rotala every 5000 been doing that for years with mine from my mid 70,s to 99 now my 06 its been proven but now im think changing to full sys,

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Looks like this thread could use a little help....

Oil is extremely important in the 6.0. Ford made a huge mistake by using dino oil in these engines. The oil does not only lubricate and cool the engine but it is also used to power the injectors and control the turbo. The oil goes through a high pressure pump that can create up to 4000psi at WOT to push fuel through the injectors. Needless to say if you want your turbo and injectors to last you should defiantly be running a Full Synthetic oil in these engines. Most guys on here run Shell Rotella T6 5W-40. It is perfect for year round use and gives the best lubrication possible. Change it every 5,000 miles and you should be good to go. And remember to always use a Motorcraft or Racor filter ONLY!

·
Registered
435 Posts
thats what im going to i have heard so much about it i just had my oil change with regular rotella , i just bought this truck i use this 06 for work but i want it too last too

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
I used to run all Rotella t5 conventional 15w-40. I just did studs and gasket and new injectors so while I had it apart I sucked all the oil out of the oil cooler reservoir and drained the oil. Added new filters and Rotella T6 5w-40 and will continue to run that for the life of the truck. TSC has it on sale for $19.99/gal here probably close to the same where you are.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
UOA reports have shown the T6 good to 7k miles or more. I run Amsoil 5w40 and use 7k as my OCI based on UOA. It may be possible to push the OCI out further but I would only do so based on UOA verifying it to be ok on your truck with that particular oil.

·
Registered
61 Posts
rotella types

Whats the difference between t5, t6, t?

·
Registered
953 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks Baddestt :thumb:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys i think ill go with the t6. My brad penn rep trying to get me to keep running brad penn but i'm just not sure about the longjevity. We use that in all our farm equipment but thats different then the 6.0, again thanks

·
Vendor
2,932 Posts
Ran Amsoil 15w-40 and the truck loved it, running t5 now and it's a bit louder (the shop that did my hedstuds put it in, not my doing) but will be trying t6 once this is done. My local Napa has it for $20 per gallon so it's way cheaper than amsoil in the long run.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I run T6 and change oil every 5,000 and oil filter every 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
T5= 10w30 semi synthetic
T6= 5w40 synthetic
T= 15w40
T5 also comes in a 10w40 blend and Triple protection aka T also comes in 10w-30.

·
Registered
953 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well for what it is worth I use Rotella t6 every oil change and have for the life of the truck. A long time ago I sent in samples to be analyzed. I live in central California so the climate is great and I rarely pull super heavy loads. The truck is my daily driver and I do drive aggressive from time to time with a performance tune. All that being said I went from changing at 3K miles to 5k miles then to 8k miles and the last 3 have all been at 10k miles. All 3 of the last changes where sent to Blackstone for testing and all 3 have come back saying I could have probably went longer. I always use Motorcraft filters and Shell Rotella T6 oil.

I know many people will say that 10K is too long but like I said, for my use the lab suggests I could go further. Oh and the truck just turned over 100,000 miles and still running like a champ. Take i for what its worth but I suggest you send a sample in after 5k miles and see what they say. It was more than worth it to me.

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
Looks like this thread could use a little help....

Oil is extremely important in the 6.0. Ford made a huge mistake by using dino oil in these engines. The oil does not only lubricate and cool the engine but it is also used to power the injectors and control the turbo. The oil goes through a high pressure pump that can create up to 4000psi at WOT to push fuel through the injectors. Needless to say if you want your turbo and injectors to last you should defiantly be running a Full Synthetic oil in these engines. Most guys on here run Shell Rotella T6 5W-40. It is perfect for year round use and gives the best lubrication possible. Change it every 5,000 miles and you should be good to go. And remember to always use a Motorcraft or Racor filter ONLY!
Agree 100%. I've been running full synthetic since 15k miles (wanted to make sure everything seated like it should), and we just pulled my heads last month. That was 145k miles later. My friend doing the work was anti-synthetic oil ever since I've known him, but he commented that I "may have just made him a believer in synthetic oil."

FWIW, I didn't know my oil cooler was clogged until recently and I was seeing EOT's in the 245-250* range every time I was on the highway. I don't know how long they were this bad (ScanGauge was purchased a few months ago), but my oil had 4,500 miles on it when I sent it in for a UOA. The results passed every test with flying colors. I don't think that would have been the same had I been running dino oil.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts