Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Real Men of Genius
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My roommate was talking to me about how hard it is for him to check his oil level on his dipstick, mainly because the Min/Max 'thing' at the bottom is a burnt brownish color. It makes it hard to see the oil level, because the oil is the same color as the oil reader. Is this the factory color? Or is his just burnt? He bought this truck used about 2 months ago, and he's taking really good care of it. Just wondering what the oil reading meter thing looks like (at the end of the oil dipstick) on ya'll's 6.0. Thanks! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Mine is yellow.

·
Real Men of Genius
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LMAO... okay. His is DEFINITELY NOT yellow. I guess it's burnt. Well then... he wanted to paint it white so he could see it better. What do you guys think? Bad idea? We're worried that the oil might become too hot and melt/chip/whatever the paint off and it'll get pumped thru his engine, and then it'll explode! :badidea:

We don't want that. What do you guys think? Thanks for the fast response too!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Should be yellow. Run over it a bit with some steel wool or fine grit sandpaper maybe to bring some of the yellow back out?

·
Registered
288 Posts
If it is that big of a deal fordparts.com 23.75 with out tax and shipping.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Buy a new dipstick.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Ford replacenets will be yellow or gray.

·
Registered
922 Posts
You could spray some brake clean on it and wipe it down really well. Just make sure that you wipe it down really well before putting it back in the motor.

·
Registered
135 Posts
mine is grayish brown as well, was that way when new.i painted it white inside the indention with the xxxx's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts