Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys bought my first diesel last month and she came with a couple problems that I'm itching to take care of but am afraid of jumping the gun and just throwing parts at her. Im hoping you guys can point me in the right direction.

Its a 2004 6.0 w/214,000 on her. Runs and drives great, no smoke or engine lights. Ive put 3k on her and gone through less then half quart of oil. My problem is that a bit of oil is showing up in the coolant overflow, not enough to gunk up the coolant really just enough to cling to the sides of the tank. this was a known issue when i bought it and hasn't seemed to get any worse. The guy had someone in his shop pull the tank and clean it out and I topped off the oil at that time, so its taken 3k more miles to lose half quart and start to coat the tank again. From what I'm reading on these forums it leads my to believe the oil cooler may have a small leak, I'm really just looking for your thoughts on if I should jump on replacing this or if there are other smaller things that could lead to this happening.

Also, I popped the egr out last night to give it a good cleaning and the o-rings were pretty chewed up, didn't look like they were being replaced very often, I threw on new ones and popped it back in, just wanted to throw that in there in case its possible for oil/exhaust getting past there to push enough carbon into the coolant to cause what I'm seeing.

Thanks for any help you can throw my way

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also wanted to add I just picked up a scanguage 2 for the truck, thou I'm still trying to figure that all out, I've seen a lot of referring to the oil and coolant temp being within range of each other, but am wondering is that more for telling if your problem is a clogged cooler, where as my problem is more of a leaking issue?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have oil in your coolant, there's a really good chance your oil cooler has ruptured.
Thats really what i was assuming, I had all the parts in my cart ready to check out and thought i'd ask first just in case. I won't have time to tackle this till next weekend at the earliest anyways so figure may as well throw it out there first and just wait till monday to order it up.

thanks for the reply

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I agree with snake. I am just going to point out something.

When yo do make your repair you will need to flush the coolant system with calgon or cascade to clean the oil out. It is also recomended to replace all the hoses as they are not designed to handle petroleum products and will soften up over time and start deteriorateing from the inside causeing even more failuers as the pieces work their way thru the cooling system. Possibly plugging the oil cooler; egr cooler; radiator; heater core and thermostat.

While your leak appears to be quite small it can become big at any moment. And you have no knowledge of how long it has been going on.

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
Thats really what i was assuming, I had all the parts in my cart ready to check out and thought i'd ask first just in case. I won't have time to tackle this till next weekend at the earliest anyways so figure may as well throw it out there first and just wait till monday to order it up.

thanks for the reply
Happy to help. Have you considered an oil cooler from Bulletproof Diesel?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
if the oil cooler has ruptured then your gonna blow that EGR cooler very soon and then that will kill the head gaskets.. if you replace the oil cooler then while your in there do an EGR delete or at least replace the EGR cooler. and do a coolant flush though that is likely to kill your oil cooler again....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if the oil cooler has ruptured then your gonna blow that EGR cooler very soon and then that will kill the head gaskets.. if you replace the oil cooler then while your in there do an EGR delete or at least replace the EGR cooler. and do a coolant flush though that is likely to kill your oil cooler again....

Since mine is a small rupture and not clogged I'm assuming I'd be able to do a good flush prior to tear down. Is it really that likely to reclog when I re-flush after its done?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also I got the scan gauge on and found the codes I needed to track my temp variances, and it kinda makes me a little bummed that it ruptured since I must be flowing really well the temps stayed within 5 degree the whole day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts