Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
05 with 99 thousand on it, little wrench has been comming on off and on, cruise at about 1800 RPM get where I"m going shut off the motor and it goes away for awhile. 100 to 200 miles and back on again Took it to Ford for a service and diagnostic, oil cooler is pluging up they told me, $2700 or so for them to replace it, ouch. Any options that have worked or bite the bullit and replace the thing. Thanks Danny

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I guess when they did the diagnostics they did not give you a printout of the readings and codes that they used for their determination?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DannyBoy, No on any numbers or code all they told me was the oil cooler is plugging up and needs to be replaced. Reading a few posts, I see where some have talked about a flush for the system, GREEK to me, as I have had any maint. done by Ford. Last year a new turbo and EGR assy was installed by them, and now I am told if the cooler problem is not corrected it can take out the new EGR. Whats good advice short of having it changed? Like my truck but the new ones are looking pretty tempting

·
Registered
118 Posts
Do it yourself.... I did mine.... Time consuming but not really that hard... A lot of info on here and YouTube on how to take these things apart

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good lord you can about get your truck fully bulletproofed for $2700 let alone just an oil cooler:doh:
Ya know I'd spend that if it would take care of the problems, I am in sunny California tho, and there ain't nothing reasonable in this state. I"ll try u-tube and see if I can learn a little, I still get my hands dirty, just getting to wore out to crawl around under the hood.

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
$2700? really? even if they quoted an EGR cooler with that job it still wouldn't be close

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Wow. Do it yourself. Oil cooler rebuild kit, intake gasket, turbo install kit. I got all my parts from tosley Ford. The parts will be less than 500. They are charging you about 2000 in labor. That is insane.
The people on this forum will walk you through it. There is a lot of knowledge here. Maybe you can find somebody on the forum that lives close to you that can help. Just my 2 cents. Good luck

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ya know I'd spend that if it would take care of the problems, I am in sunny California tho, and there ain't nothing reasonable in this state. I"ll try u-tube and see if I can learn a little, I still get my hands dirty, just getting to wore out to crawl around under the hood.

That made crawling around in the hood bearable without a topside creeper..... And yes that's the ol 7.3 backed up to it still going strong with 220 K on her lol

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Took a look a u tube and forum posts last nite, bunch of good info on getting this sucker fixed. Still not sure if I want to tackle this or not, but a couple of questions that I could use help with if I decide to, first the motor is not filthy but is a little dirty, if I am carefull about the electrics would it hurt to pressure wash it first, second, I have a welding/mach shop so there is a good tool selection but is there any special ones that are needed, once in there should it go back with OEM parts from ford or is there a better after market, and I think lastly, what else should be looked at and replaced. Got to remember I"m in California and the smog laws really suck

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
The only I guess odd tools are the torx bits but you can pick that up at lowes or harbor freight. Other than that couple extensions and a swivel socket for the manifold to y pipe bolts. Pretty basic hand tools. Shop VAC is nice for clean up.
I would not wash with pressure washer. That's just me.
You can't go wrong going with oe parts, unless you want to get a bullet proof oil cooler.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If your going that deep I would open the hpop up and see if u have the updated stc fitting....check your ipr screen... But as stated basic hand tools will do the job for you... Oh if you remove the hpop cover a small amount of sealant should be used towards the back on each side when re installing.... Also make sure u have a good grip on all those bolts while the cover is off ... Don't wanna drop anything In there lol

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
i need to get me one of those tent things for the house (or even work sometimes)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yeah they're real handy.... Every so often dick's sporting goods has a big sale on them

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well it looks like I am going to tackle my problem myself, It looks to be pretty straight forward and not all that complicated. Question for one of you out there, I see delta and other engine monitor indicators mentioned a lot, the only gages in my dash are water temp, boost, oil press, and trans temp the little info panel has only lit for low fuel and doors ajar, what do I need to put in to keep a better track of whats going on under the hood? Thanks Danny

·
Registered
118 Posts
Scangauge 2 is prob cheapest but edge cts is prob the best for monitoring

1 - 17 of 17 Posts