Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed Warren Diesel 175/75 injectors and a 4" lift kit, along the way I decided to do a coolant flush, although my coolant looked brand new, prior to having a cts (which I do now)...anyways ran distilled water for about a day, then drained it using the little white radiator drain as well as pulling the lower radiator hose. Water came out pretty clear, with a slight yellow look from Ford Gold coolant. Afterwards I put 3 gallons of CAT ELC in with maybe half a gallon or so of distilled water to finish off and now have outragous deltas... up to 35*(180*-225*) but the coolant never got above 182, so today I thought id put in a new thermosat, drained BRAND NEW coolant, and came out looking like a mix of oil and coolant, like a dirty red color, instead of the clear red color of the ELC. Could this be a clogged oil cooler, or just a dirty one? (I rebulit mine when put in new motor, now that cooler has about 20,000 on it, could it be gone already?) ANY help would be great...:please:
PS. I also never changed tunes from my 175/stock nozzle SRL+ tune, and running down the highway now at 1000*, could a new tune help? (Scheduled a live tune today with Chris at TSD) could the larger injector size or lift increase oil temps?

·
Registered
128 Posts
whats you ect and eot correlation look like bud?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ECT-182, EOT-215-225ish pretty good deltas, Y'all are right up the road..lol Im in Kerrville, TX by SA! Fellow Texans!! But I just put the new thermosat in, thinking that would cool things down a little and am about to go run it with the nasty coolant...just to see what the temps do.

·
Registered
128 Posts
you dont want to see anything over 25degree differance.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
right... I just dont think it would be the oil cooler, because it was done like 20000 miles ago..but ill get back and report the delta, do you think the oil temp is caused by the injectors, or the tune? Do you think putting it back to stock would help at all until i get it live dyno tuned?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay...new temps of 192-225...looking seriously at the oil cooler, could I possibly return the truck to stock and run it then to check temps? And my coolant temp never got over 192, I know alot of truck run in the 200 range when they warm up...any ideas?

·
Registered
36 Posts
If there was oil in the coolant I would look strongly into the cooler or the cooler o rings. I think I read that right, sorry if I'm off track tho. Whats the engine oil look like? Also red and green coolant make a nasty brown color when mixed. Did you run it while you flushed it?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it looked REALLY dark red, so im thinking it was all the crap that came out?:dunno: but I ran distilled, got it hot, then drained the water out. I figured that my coolant was almost perfectly gold, that I didnt need another flush out, and was in a hurry to put coolant in, because of the scary oil temps...:doh: but it could very possibly be the oil cooler :banging:

·
Registered
36 Posts
When we flush @ work (semi trucks but I do cars the same) I open the drain and put a hose in the rad tank or overflow. Turn the heat on high and start the truck. Then regulate how much water your putting in until it runs out of the overflow and leave the drain open. I usually run like this for 30 min to an hour. Also if I have oil in the coolant I use Restore. Its a Fleetguard product and it works wonders for cleaning oil and build up out of the cooling system. You can get it at any Cummins distributor or any Fleetguard dealer (maybe Fleet Pride or Truck Pro). Hope this helps you man. I would try that before tearing into it just based on the fact that the oil cooler only has 20k on it. Good luck

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Super Dirty 06. I think im going to try your method this evening or maybe tomorrow. So your saying drain the coolant, put water with Restore in, run it, then come back, drain that out, then put a water hose down it, turn the truck on with heater, and let it idol for 30 min or so with the radiator drain open? or something along those lines? Thanks for everyones help btw!

·
Registered
863 Posts
hey PSE. Im the brother to reidunagan, the one thats gonna be puttin in the oil cooler. with 175/75's and not being tuned for them could that be a reason for the oil temp to be high? im not thinkin so but who knows yall have seen more than i have.

PS: im a really good friend of colton pepper

·
Registered
128 Posts
i dont see why it would cause a spike in oil temp. im thinkin more along the lines of when it was flushed it might of just caused a restriction and got worse from there.

·
Registered
863 Posts
yea. im gonna try to flush it really really good and hope that i dont have to pull it. if i do oh well but id like to save the time if i can

·
Registered
36 Posts
You got it about right. The Restore will have instructions on it. They make 2 different types. I beleive one handles scale as well. After the Restore has run thru the engine for its reccomended time drain it, fill it with a water hose and when the hose is still running open the drain. That way you dont get an air bubble. then just flush the sh!t outta it and then drain. When your filling with coolant keep in mind your block and heater core are still full of straight water so thats gonna play a part in your 50/50 mix. I know this has probably been beaten to death also but definately vacuum fill the system or bleed it very well. Cavitation is the leading cause of EGR cooler failures if your still runnin one

·
Registered
863 Posts
its got a bulletproof egr on it so im not worried about that. and the way i let it bleed out is to just run it and let it bubble out the bottle

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well guys, tried the flush ALL day today...started by going to ford and picking up some VC 9...because rdunagan FORGOT we didnt have any restore at the house...lol anyways at 26.50 a bottle i just picked one up. Drained my ELC out, looked like it did yesterday. But then put in the VC 9 and about 2 1/2 Gallons of Distilled water. Ran that for about 30 minutes, followed by a good warm up run down the street, immediatly drained afterwards, with A LOT of ELC coming out, then cleared up. Stuck the water hose down it, and let it drain with the truck off, until it was really clear, then started and idoled for about 10 minutes, followed by another run down the street, and reapeated that about 4 times. Afterewards I put 3 gallons of purified water (ran out of distilled) and got that nice and warm up to about 192 EOC and 205 EOC, immedietly drained after run. Then put old ELC back in and took for a good run down the highway, with temps at 192-225... guess its time for another cooler. Anybody know of any good deals out there for OEM coolers...found one on Ebay for 277 free shipping.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hate to hear that didnt work out for ya man. Sounds like a decen price on the cooler. I think I paid 310 for mine shipped so 277 sounds good to me. Good luck

1 - 20 of 25 Posts