Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize for the new thread but I couldn't find anything in the search in the few minutes I have to spend. I took a 10 hour drive the other day at interstate speeds (I averaged probably 80mph) and everything ran great. Coolant temp was pretty constant at 188-190 but oil temps were pretty constant at 220-228. My EGR cooler is deleted so no worries there and I'm running T6 so I'm not worried about overall oil temps. But my concern is what the oil temps will be with a trailer an in the summer. Should I be in the market for a new oil cooler? I have already bought 4 gallons of the rotella ELC in anticipation of a flush and time and labor are no big thing for me. But it seems from what I've read that 220 is pretty dang high. That puts my deltas at 30*. (I understand that without an egr cooler the deltas aren't really applicable anymore)
If it's new cooler time - what about the one from XDP? I would have to purchase gaskets to go with it, but it is still less expensive than most.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
I apologize for the new thread but I couldn't find anything in the search in the few minutes I have to spend. I took a 10 hour drive the other day at interstate speeds (I averaged probably 80mph) and everything ran great. Coolant temp was pretty constant at 188-190 but oil temps were pretty constant at 220-228. My EGR cooler is deleted so no worries there and I'm running T6 so I'm not worried about overall oil temps. But my concern is what the oil temps will be with a trailer an in the summer. Should I be in the market for a new oil cooler? I have already bought 4 gallons of the rotella ELC in anticipation of a flush and time and labor are no big thing for me. But it seems from what I've read that 220 is pretty dang high. That puts my deltas at 30*. (I understand that without an egr cooler the deltas aren't really applicable anymore)
If it's new cooler time - what about the one from XDP? I would have to purchase gaskets to go with it, but it is still less expensive than most.
The ECT/EOT delta is supposed to be checked by driving after warm up on a flat road at 65mph, not 80mph. I would start there first.
BTL

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,525 Posts
80 mph or 65 mph - it just doesn't really make much difference on a healthy oil cooler.

I would first verify that the oil temperature sensor is reading correctly.

On a totally cold engine (takes at least 12 hours to totally cool down), do your coolant and oil temps read about the same?

·
Registered
350 Posts
If you can do the work, just replace it. Inexpensive insurance, and to me the oil Temps seem way to high for an empty truck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Weird thing happened tonight pulling horses over South pass (very long stretch of road with steep grade and high altitude). I went as fast as egt's would let me and pull kept climbing higher and higher finally pegging at 255. ECT stayed very consistent never getting over 205. Dummy gauge on dash never moved until I got the dash warning that said "check engine temps" so I looked down and it took about 30 seconds and then the dummy gauged climbed quite rapidly to the redline. The cts2 monitor still read about 200* so I began to pull over and down shifted to 2nd but continued to climb the hill, although pretty slowly. And then after about 30 seconds of that the oil temps began to drop and the dummy gauge on the dash rapidly dropped back to normal. From then on the oil hit 245 once or twice but never higher. ECT never got above 210 the entire time. It was almost like there was a restriction in the oil cooler somewhere and then it blew out. That can't happen can it?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Again, your oil cooler is restricted. Flush the cooling system and replace it.
My new oil cooler doesn't temp over 195. Temps aren't more than 10* apart and it sits around 192~ at idle.
I was consistently hitting 205* before replacing it. I didn't let it go for long, a couple weeks at most.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Ambient temps do play a part somewhat, but I'll echo what's already been said...

It sure looks like you need a new oil cooler. Like @bismic mentioned it shouldn't matter to a healthy oil cooler - 65MPH or 85MPH. Your delta will remain fairly consistent. Mine runs 4-5° @ 60MPH, 5-6° @ 65MPH, 6-7° @ 70MPH, and 7-8° @ 75MPH. So, 15MPH difference yields a MAX 3-4° shift in my delta. If you're at 25-30° already, you're on borrowed time.

-jokester

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
11,604 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Yep, OEM oil cooler only on these. Seriously.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You could check out bulletproofdiesel.com, a lot of guys use their remote air oil cooler setup. Thats the route i went and i havent had a problem for about 15k miles, but its pricey and a lot of work. I think they have a relocation option that relocates the OEM cooler so its pretty easy to replace again if needed. The only issue i have with my setup is that in winter i need to get stuck in traffic in order to get to 185 degrees on the oil. I ended up blocking the oil cooler about half way with some cardboard.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ah, i see. 300k that would be great if i can get to that, 142k right now. In that case i'd second "sock puppet" statement of OEM cooler only.

·
Premium Member
11,604 Posts
@oldmedicmom please start your own thread and give more details about the truck and the work you've had done. You need an oil cooler and probably a lot of flushing, but we don't need to muck up @Wyomingcowboy 's thread.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've got a new Ford cooler coming and have 4 gallons of undiluted rotella elc. In going to follow the flush procedure as per diesel tech Ron and then r&r the cooler. Soon i hope.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts