Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I've been wondering this for a while but haven't had time to ask. I have no idea how a diesel engine works compared to a gasser, and don't know the internal oiling system at all. So, why do these engines have a mechanical type oil cooler and not a radiator type like you would see on a gasser? Is there some reason that people are spending so much money fixing/replacing oil coolers when they could just run the oil through a radiator type cooler just before or after the filter?

And now with mil-specrestro's thread about his DIY oil cooler delete using a radiator type cooler I'm really curious. This just seems like a common sense mod and the fact that nobody had done it before makes me wonder if there's a reason why? :dunno:

:crazy:

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
Who knows :dunno:. An air to oil cooler sounds like you'd get better cooling effect, than using 190* coolant to cool it down, with the current OE setup. . . .

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
There are kits for that but they aren't cheep. Lol

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
Yep, they aren't cheap, but you get what you pay for...

Most of the reason is that the "typical" radiator style oil coolers cannot supply the volume of oil that our engines use or provide enough cooling effect.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
First you don't want the oil too cool or it isn't good for the motor. The coolant to oil cooler actually helps warm the oil up quicker, especially in the winter. As you can see in Mil-Specretro's thread it is fairly complicated for the average do it yourselfer. And for all that he is into it for about $900 and still doesn't have concrete results to report on the cooling difference.

One of the complaints of the typical coolant to oil cooler is that it makes the coolant hotter by using it to pull heat from the oil. In reality our cooling systems are so robust it just really isn't an issue.

Put a coolant filter on the truck for $100 and that still leaves you enough to buy 3 oil cooler rebuild kits. And that's at the price that Mil-Spec has in parts for his DIY conversion.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
7,354 Posts
First you don't want the oil too cool or it isn't good for the motor. The coolant to oil cooler actually helps warm the oil up quicker, especially in the winter. As you can see in Mil-Specretro's thread it is fairly complicated for the average do it yourselfer. And for all that he is into it for about $900 and still doesn't have concrete results to report on the cooling difference.

One of the complaints of the typical coolant to oil cooler is that it makes the coolant hotter by using it to pull heat from the oil. In reality our cooling systems are so robust it just really isn't an issue.

Put a coolant filter on the truck for $100 and that still leaves you enough to buy 3 oil cooler rebuild kits. And that's at the price that Mil-Spec has in parts for his DIY conversion.

Well said.

·
Registered
274 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Well not much to say after that answer from PGreenSVT! :)

·
Compression Ignition Addict
7,354 Posts
The only thing to add would be ...... if you are out of warranty, a number of folks are switching to the International (Fleetrite or Rotella) red ELC coolant. It is silicate free (some folks are wondering if silicates are precipitating out and creating some of the need for the coolant filter).

·
Lt. Negativity
1,739 Posts
In a stock applicaton PGreen is correct.

In a modified 6.0 whole different world, it actually benefits the truck. I currently dont run on but Im going to in the future. Also play this discussion over the years, with Jeremy aka Lubeowner, Shawn Ellerton, Tyler Sheers, and a few others.

Its seems that cooler oil is better for folks that have bigger injectors, why with my own study on my own personal truck I noticed a difference when the oil is cold. My oil pressure is alot higher, and so is my ICP as well. Now we all know that our injectors run off oil pressure, so since once the oil is heated up to operating temps oil pressure seems to drop some. example at idle when my truck is cold Im seeing 50psi of oil pressure, when at operating temps 25psi, Once I get moving my oil pressure at cold is close to 85psi, running operating temps 50-75 psi. I really havent gotten into it much lately but on the performance side aspect this plays a big roll.

My truck use to run like a bat out of hell when it was cold, and when it got warm urgh it was a pain.

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
The only thing to add would be ...... if you are out of warranty, a number of folks are switching to the International (Fleetrite or Rotella) red ELC coolant. It is silicate free (some folks are wondering if silicates are precipitating out and creating some of the need for the coolant filter).
I think either you or Jack may have started that line of thinking... :D

·
Registered
3,352 Posts

In a modified 6.0 whole different world, it actually benefits the truck. I currently dont run on but Im going to in the future. Also play this discussion over the years, with Jeremy aka Lubeowner, Shawn Ellerton, Tyler Sheers, and a few others.

Its seems that cooler oil is better for folks that have bigger injectors, why with my own study on my own personal truck I noticed a difference when the oil is cold. My oil pressure is alot higher, and so is my ICP as well. Now we all know that our injectors run off oil pressure, so since once the oil is heated up to operating temps oil pressure seems to drop some. example at idle when my truck is cold Im seeing 50psi of oil pressure, when at operating temps 25psi, Once I get moving my oil pressure at cold is close to 85psi, running operating temps 50-75 psi. I really havent gotten into it much lately but on the performance side aspect this plays a big roll.

My truck use to run like a bat out of hell when it was cold, and when it got warm urgh it was a pain.
but does it go any faster??

Stock oil cooler on the Ranger netted 9.82 @142mph..I think the stock oil cooler works fine IMHO

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Yeah I switched to the Fleetrite red last time a changed coolant. I have an International dealer pretty close by so it is convenient and it was on sale at 1/2 price. Pretty much a no brainer for me.

Kevin, I have to agree and disagree with what you've said above. There are a lot of things to consider in this discussion. I switched my open track Cobra from a C to O cooler to an A to O cooler because running that hard constantly raised to coolant temps trying to keep the oil cool. As I said earlier that pretty much is a non issue with our trucks.

As for your comments about cold and warm oil pressure, certainly the oil will be thicker when cold resulting in higher oil pressure. As for that being a good thing I don't think so and throw this out for thought. The HPOP feeds our injectors. That being the case the low pressure oil system pressure is a different issue. Yes the colder oil will be thicker but where it need to flow to the injectors on the HPOS side thicker is not better as we're seeing with the improvements with 5w40 and now 10w30. Also when you first start your truck and roll out when everything is cold it is very noticeable that the truck is more sluggish until it warms up.

A well known Mustang racer commented after a season of racing and tearing down his engine for refresh "the only noticeable wear was in the bearings from the oil being to cold. I will warm the engine up longer next season"

This is kind of like a what oil is best debate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts