Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone in the San Antonio area know how to do an oil cooler swap on a 2006 F350 6.0L? Want to make a few bucks? It is beyond my skill level I think... PM me if interested.

·
Premium Member
7,657 Posts
@junior125 or a bit further away @Kryptic_361

Or watch a DTR video and do it yourself. Not that hard to do.

Skip the EGR cooler part and this one covers it pretty well. The one I referred to when I did mine.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Watched video and doubt I have the skills to do it myself. Too much stuff..... would prefer to give someone a fair price to do the install. I had one shop tell me they wanted $135 and hour and it would take NINE hours. Seriously?

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Watched video and doubt I have the skills to do it myself. Too much stuff..... would prefer to give someone a fair price to do the install. I had one shop tell me they wanted $135 and hour and it would take NINE hours. Seriously?
Could be a good deal there. Knowing your limits is important. Exceeding those limits can cost you much more than nine shop hours. Nowadays, I will stop at a certain point of frustration, button it up, and bring it to a shop to finish. I just hope if you find someone, they would stand by there work as much as a shop would. My oil cooler swap took days and required quite a bit of money to tool up.

If you got a full quote from the shop, It'd be interesting. I think it'd be at least $1300 for the oil cooler alone. Then there's the while you're in there parts: BPD EGR or delete ($450), IPR and Manifold Adapter ($300), Stand Pipes, Dummy Plugs, STC fittings, the list goes on and on such as deck the heads, studding, could be never ending.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,121 Posts
The Ford OEM oil cooler shouldn't be more than $300 ($450 at full price).

·
Registered
179 Posts
Cooler took me 11-12 hours but I’m anal and cleaned all interior and exterior surfaces of all parts and covers that I removed. I also added a coolant filter at the same time.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A local shop that works on diesels quoted $1300 for parts/labor.

The cooler itself isn't too bad. There is an OEM on eBay for $300 with gasket kit.

I have seen aftermarket for a lot less from some of online diesel sellers but prefer OEM. $300 for the one above. Again, I looked at the video and have no desire to try the job.

·
Premium Member
7,657 Posts
A local shop that works on diesels quoted $1300 for parts/labor.

The cooler itself isn't too bad. There is an OEM on eBay for $300 with gasket kit.

I have seen aftermarket for a lot less from some of online diesel sellers but prefer OEM. $300 for the one above. Again, I looked at the video and have no desire to try the job.
DO NOT BUY AN AFTERMARKET OIL COOLER! Unless it's BPD's air/oil cooler.
The cheap ones will cause high deltas right out of the box and the gaskets are junk and will cause problems.
If you want to make sure it's genuine OEM give Mike a shout at Autonation Ford WBL, he'll have just as good a price as fleabay. @fordsvtparts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Anybody that has experience doing the coil cooler swap in the San Antonio area... make some money? Had another mechanic tell me it was a CAB OFF job only. Geesh.

·
Premium Member
7,657 Posts
Anybody that has experience doing the coil cooler swap in the San Antonio area... make some money? Had another mechanic tell me it was a CAB OFF job only. Geesh.
Only need to pull the cab if you have a 6.4.
The 6.0 is pretty easy, pull the degas, FICM, turbo, oil filter, wire harness, intake manifold, oil cooler.
Junior ever respond? He's in San Antonio, Colin replied but he's up in Killeen

·
Registered
78 Posts
I thought you were not allowed to smoke that stuff there as of yet. But that guy that thinks cab off is smoking a bale.

Oil cooler on a 6.0L is cab in place and it's really not that hard of a job if you take your time and don't use any
towels in the reservoir. Srmastertech has a good video on doing the job also.

I can understand you now wanting to try and tackle this if your worried about your skills.

Now depending on how bad it is right now one thing you could do is the prep.
Things like a cooling system flush. That is a simple task. And you can bet that if the shop does a good job of it
they will charge a lot more for the work.

·
Vendor
1,065 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just did mine, along with a ported intake and a stage two turbo. I was highly skeptical of aftermarket oil coolers but took a chance on PPE. I’ve had great success so far! Whoever told you it’s a cab off job is on some serious crack! You absolutely need to have your cooling system flushed so the new one doesn’t clog. I put fumoto valves in my engine block which makes a flush so much easier!

·
Premium Member
7,657 Posts
I just did mine, along with a ported intake and a stage two turbo. I was highly skeptical of aftermarket oil coolers but took a chance on PPE. I’ve had great success so far! Whoever told you it’s a cab off job is on some serious crack! You absolutely need to have your cooling system flushed so the new one doesn’t clog. I put fumoto valves in my engine block which makes a flush so much easier!
Sure hope you at least usd OEM gaskets. Here's an example of aftermarket gasket failure

BTW, if you served our Nation, go into the User CP (upper right screen) and in Networking then Group Memberships, request to join the Military Members and get the banner under your screen name. And Thanks for serving!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sure hope you at least usd OEM gaskets. Here's an example of aftermarket gasket failure

BTW, if you served our Nation, go into the User CP (upper right screen) and in Networking then Group Memberships, request to join the Military Members and get the banner under your screen name. And Thanks for serving!
Thanks for the HU on the banner, I went and requested to join! I did my homework on PPE. They had gasket failures in the past so I called them to inquire. They have since updated to a Viton gasket and o ring set. So far so good, my deltas are between 5 and 8 degrees, and when I slow down my oil temps drop quickly. I was going to do the BPD air to oil setup but I just couldn’t come up with the money after the turbo and intake. If/when this oil cooler takes a dump, I’m going with the BPD. In my mind, it’s a temporary fix until I can afford the long term solution!

·
Premium Member
7,657 Posts
Thanks for the HU on the banner, I went and requested to join! I did my homework on PPE. They had gasket failures in the past so I called them to inquire. They have since updated to a Viton gasket and o ring set. So far so good, my deltas are between 5 and 8 degrees, and when I slow down my oil temps drop quickly. I was going to do the BPD air to oil setup but I just couldn’t come up with the money after the turbo and intake. If/when this oil cooler takes a dump, I’m going with the BPD. In my mind, it’s a temporary fix until I can afford the long term solution!
Actually the OEM (your case OEM design) oil cooler is a good system, the problem has been Ford's choice of coolant and customers failing to maintain cooling system. If you run Cat EC-1 ELC like Navistar recommends and flush it occasionally it works just fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Actually the OEM (your case OEM design) oil cooler is a good system, the problem has been Ford's choice of coolant and customers failing to maintain cooling system. If you run Cat EC-1 ELC like Navistar recommends and flush it occasionally it works just fine.
You’re absolutely right, I installed fumoto drain valves in both block drain ports so I could flush all the crap out of the block. Get all the crap out of the cooling system and run good coolant and that OEM cooler will last! I’m running shell rotella elc, it’s CAT certified.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts