Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week ago i put in the BPD factor oil cooler relocation kit with a new oil cooler, egr delete kit, bypas oil/coolant kit, mishimoto radiator, new degas bottle and factory cap. I did most of this as preventative measure. My delta before was pretty normal with regular driving around 10* and towing 15* +/-. Now cruising around 55mph with small hills delta is steady 15-18* and at 75mph a solid 20* delta. While at 75mph oil was at 206 and coolant at 186. Both speeds unloaded. I don't really have a good fla stretch around here to do the regular 65mph test. Are these deltas okay, or have I screwed something up?

·
Anti-Hashtag Member
2,150 Posts
I can tell you,(I have a newly replaced OEM Oil cooler) that before I did my Mishi I never saw more then 5-7 unloaded. Now I see 5-10 and 7-12 with a light load. It only reaches the higher number when the coolant temp is coming down. I havent seen over 212 on the oil since the replacement and that was with 5.5 tons behind me. My coolant then only got close to 15* apart which is more than acceptable with a load that heavy up and down hills. But that Mishi DEFINITELY cools the coolant better than OEM. Thats where I see my biggest splits. It will cool the coolant much faster and the oil does follow, just a little slower. It might be that you now dont have the coolant cooling your oil and only air. And your coolant not being heated by the oil with a more efficient rad might be contributing to your split.

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
Did you use an OEM oil cooler? You can buy the BPD kit without a cooler so anything is possible. I have the same setup. I used the OEM from BPD.

The Mishi rad is thinner so it leaves a gap between something - rad-to-shroud or shroud-to-stator. Where is your gap?

Have you backflushed the cooler? It is pretty simple now. You can see a pic of my backflush setup here:

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/po...dp-oil-cooler-relocation-some-miscellany.html

About two days after putting it all back together, I backflushed mine and got some grit that had somehow survived 30 gallons of distilled. You might just be a bit clogged up from all of the digging.

·
Anti-Hashtag Member
2,150 Posts
Ahh isread...thought i read it was the other kit my bad.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you use an OEM oil cooler? You can buy the BPD kit without a cooler so anything is possible. I have the same setup. I used the OEM from BPD.
Yes I have an OEM cooler. I have the setup from BPD that included a new OEM cooler.

The Mishi rad is thinner so it leaves a gap between something - rad-to-shroud or shroud-to-stator. Where is your gap?
Small gap in front of radiator. No gap rad-to-shroud.

Have you backflushed the cooler? It is pretty simple now. You can see a pic of my backflush setup here:
I shouldn't have to backflush the cooler, its brand new..

I'm mostly just curious if, after all these changes does the bigger delta's hurt anything now?

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
Yes I have an OEM cooler. I have the setup from BPD that included a new OEM cooler.
Great. The reason that I asked this is to know what minimum delta was possible.

Small gap in front of radiator. No gap rad-to-shroud.
No gap either in front of or behind the shroud? Interesting. The reason that I asked this is to know how much air is bypassing the rad.

I shouldn't have to backflush the cooler, its brand new..
You just did an oil cooler relocation. I am guessing that you flushed your coolant system before you did it. Maybe not, though.

If so... between the flush, twisting all of those coolant hoses, and possible junk falling into the system, you contaminated it. If you didn't flush, the situation is even worse.

I flushed my coolant system with Restore, Restore+, and about 30 gallons of distilled. I stuffed every coolant port with rags and was very careful during my relocation. ...and I still had a bunch of junk come out on the first flush. Why did I flush? Because I had deltas like yours. :)

I'm mostly just curious if, after all these changes does the bigger delta's hurt anything now?
No. The bigger delta doesn't hurt - especially if you run synthetic. But if you can backflush and get it down, why not?

I am getting a delta of 4F-18F depending upon what I am doing. I am not concerned. I haven't filled the air gap that I have that is caused by the Mishi, yet. I'll put more thought into it after cleaning up that loose ends.

So... I don't think that you have anything to worry about. ...but I think that you should backflush. :)

·
Administrator
30,616 Posts
exactly isolate the cooler and backflush it I even run valves and a filter on mine because crap will find it's way in there no matter what IMO

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
exactly isolate the cooler and backflush it I even run valves and a filter on mine because crap will find it's way in there no matter what IMO
ZMANN's point is important and I glossed over it in my explanation.

Unless someone has a IPR full flow coolant filter installed ahead of the oil cooler, the oil cooler is the point in the 6.0 coolant system with the smallest passages. That means that it is the coolant filter. Even if someone adds a bypass filter, the bypass filter is getting 5%. 10% maybe. The oil cooler is still the primary filter.

That is how it needs to be treated.

Reactions: 323flint

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I would back flush it, my Ipr coolant filter before my oil cooler got clog up the first 200miles, I had to clean it 5 to 10 time my first 3000 miles. I would hate to see if all the stuff went into my oil cooler what my deltas would b

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay so these high deltas are not hurting anything. I'll back flush the cooler and put on the ipr high flow coolant filter in the morning, it came yesterday and I haven't had a chance to install it.

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
Interesting. Time doesn't matter as much as volume and pulsing the flow. Sounds like you are good to go, though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts