Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me know if I'm in the wrong forum here but...

I have my truck torn down (early 04) and want to replace the oil cooler along the way. This is not a performance/hard-core build, and I'm trying to cut costs along the way. Any recommendations on a decent oil cooler? Is it something to even worry about (brand x vs y when in the lower dollar units)?

Ford OEM is about $300. I don't want to spend that. Cheapest I see on Amazon is mid $40s. Brands are Limicar, DK, XPP, Topaz, Dorman, Rudy's, PPE, and various no-brand. I think I can rule out Ford and PPE due to cost. Any suggestions? If I go on $$ and ratings alone, I'm thinking Rudy's ($119). I hedge on going no-brand/bottom-dollar units. Never purchased Limicar - they seem like they are cheap stuff but no experience. Dorman is Dorman. Others I don't know.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

·
Registered
8,585 Posts
for the love of all that is holy.... do not buy anything other than ford oem or the bulletproof air cooled conversion kit. You will only be doing it again and risk overheating and causing damage. You won't find anyone with any common sense recommending differently. MANY tried to use cheapy units and ran hot out of the box of failed and now you have oil and coolant mixing etc.... there are some things esp. with a 6.0l you just don't try to cut cost with. One is the oil cooler, two is the oil, three is the oil/fuel and air filters etc.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I just put the limicar unit in my truck. Understand that I don't mind doing the work again.
I tossed the gaskets and orings that came with the kit and put felpro parts in instead. This raised the price by $50.
As far as the cooler itself goes, seems to be decent quality, better than the one I took out, that's for sure. Keeps deltas around 5-10°
When doing the cooler you'll need a turbo install kit as well, $5 at autozone for the mahle kit. I also replaced my turbo mount bolts with SS.
When the turbo is off, check the up pipe for cracks, especially at the bezels.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Let me know if I'm in the wrong forum here but...

I have my truck torn down (early 04) and want to replace the oil cooler along the way. This is not a performance/hard-core build, and I'm trying to cut costs along the way. Any recommendations on a decent oil cooler? Is it something to even worry about (brand x vs y when in the lower dollar units)?

Ford OEM is about $300. I don't want to spend that. Cheapest I see on Amazon is mid $40s. Brands are Limicar, DK, XPP, Topaz, Dorman, Rudy's, PPE, and various no-brand. I think I can rule out Ford and PPE due to cost. Any suggestions? If I go on $$ and ratings alone, I'm thinking Rudy's ($119). I hedge on going no-brand/bottom-dollar units. Never purchased Limicar - they seem like they are cheap stuff but no experience. Dorman is Dorman. Others I don't know.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
What Justin said! Just do it right.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jeff-F350

·
Registered
93 Posts
x999,999 what Justin said. I went air cooled with BPD and have had no issues. Just be supper clean through the process and document as you go.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, I'm skrd into it. I'll do a Motorcraft - if I can avoid tearing it down again I will. This project is taking me all winter due to work/family/etc.
Anyway... out of curiosity, can anyone tell me if this one I pulled out of it is a Motorcraft or some other brand? I can't find a pic of the bottom of a Motorcraft (the top and sides on this look identicle) but the only markings on it are:
1859331c1
USA
Which doesn't match up with the Motorcraft part number. My deltas (with blown head gasket) were about 10 - 15 easy driving and 20 - 28 when getting on it a bit (not towing). I'm definatly replacing it, just curious as to what they had in here. I do see an International page 1885920C2 by INTERNATIONAL but no picture on that page.
Thanks for the opinions everyone. Just trying to save some cash wherever possible. This isn't the place I want to do it.
IMG_20200404_172600.jpg IMG_20200404_174541.jpg

Reactions: BTL

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used a rudys diesel kit, looks identical to the ppe heavy duty kit. rudys sells a lot of them. have no issues in mine with it

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do see an International page 1885920C2 by INTERNATIONAL but no picture on that page.
In case anyone comes across the above - it's an oil filter for a semi, not an oil cooler. Although the number matches the number on my cooler, it's a different animal. I'd love to know who's oil cooler was in my truck though.

·
Registered
8,585 Posts
In case anyone comes across the above - it's an oil filter for a semi, not an oil cooler. Although the number matches the number on my cooler, it's a different animal. I'd love to know who's oil cooler was in my truck though.
What you see if what happens when the off brand coolers are used. It performs while driving normally but any kind of work it gets hit fast. Many have to replace them soon than later if they don’t rupture. We all know it’s sucks paying $$$ for parts. I’ve owned three 6.0L. Two F350s an 04 and a 06 and a 04 excursion. I tried using cheaper oil coolers on two and it just sucked lol.

i can’t remember who said or where I heard this regarding Expensive parts.

buy once cry once lol... it’s something I love buy now hahaha

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Ford oil cooler is a updated version and only one that will back there warranty. I would also install a coolant filter system. The key to keeping a 6.0 happy is clean oil.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Ford oil cooler is a updated version and only one that will back there warranty. I would also install a coolant filter system. The key to keeping a 6.0 happy is clean oil.
This is a new-to-me truck so there are lots of unknowns. It came with a coolant filter (Sinister) and the coolant itself was red and crystal clear. I intend to reinstall the filter system and replace the filter cartridge on it using fresh coolant after flushing a few times. Before assembly I'm going to pipe water down the block ports and out the bottom just to flush out anything that may have fallen in there (I've been careful, but one never knows). That's after sticking a vacuum down there and pulling out whatever I can. Hopefully, the new FORD OEM oil cooler will work perfect :)
After some more research, I think the old cooler was a Ford OEM as well. I could try to re-use it, but I'm not going to. It will become redneck desk art.

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts
ok, I'm skrd into it. I'll do a Motorcraft - if I can avoid tearing it down again I will. This project is taking me all winter due to work/family/etc.
Anyway... out of curiosity, can anyone tell me if this one I pulled out of it is a Motorcraft or some other brand? I can't find a pic of the bottom of a Motorcraft (the top and sides on this look identicle) but the only markings on it are:

Which doesn't match up with the Motorcraft part number. My deltas (with blown head gasket) were about 10 - 15 easy driving and 20 - 28 when getting on it a bit (not towing). I'm definatly replacing it, just curious as to what they had in here. I do see an International page 1885920C2 by INTERNATIONAL but no picture on that page.
Thanks for the opinions everyone. Just trying to save some cash wherever possible. This isn't the place I want to do it.
View attachment 766081 View attachment 766082
That is the original part number. It still remains the best unit to put back in the truck. Occasionally you can get one for a great price on eBay or similar. I bought mine and held on to it for 3 years before finally replacing it 3 years ago. My delta is still at 5.

·
Registered
50 Posts
  1. 12 months on a Dorman cooler and this is what happened. Gaskets rotted, coolant and oil mixed, oil cooler clogged, HP oil system became clogged, truck wouldn't start. All because the diesel shop the previous owner used didn't know powerstrokes or the parts that are trash. Saved $100 in the short term but cost $1000+ in the long term.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow are those gaskets destroyed. Apparently made of play-doh. Glad I ended up going with OEM. Previous oil cooler turned out to be OEM and didn't look in bad shape, but since I was in there and didn't know the history, just went for it. The gaskets in there looked great though (replaced anyway with the OEM ones).

Reactions: F250SuperStealth
1 - 15 of 15 Posts