Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this truck that the oil cooler has failed 3 times in a short period of time. I'm planning on installing a IPR remote oil cooler but before I dig into that what else would a plugged oil cooler cause to fail. It cranks a long time before it starts now and i noticed the oil pressure doesn't come up (the dash gauge) until it starts, so I'm wondering about the LPOP???:eek:hnoes:

What else should I check while I'm in there?

Oh, it's got ARP headstuds,OEM gaskets,new heads, blue fuel spring,new turbo. Never had a tuner on it.

·
Banned
1,120 Posts
what year is the truck.the pro long starts could be signs of a hpo leak starting to show it's face.what is the icp when you have pro long start and where is ipr.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like I said I just bought it so not 100% sure but I think it came from ford. Just prior to this it was starting fine. Injectors 1 and 6 were sticking tho. As far icp and ipr values I don't know as I don't have a monitor yet. I started a thread about gauges on the performance parts thread. Check it out if you have advice.

·
Banned
1,120 Posts
if you need a monitor i highly recommend the scan gauge 2.but to go further like buzz test and cylinder contribution and injector disable.they have the black market copy of ford ids for 200 on ebay and can do up to present years.it comes with vcm and data cord and usb cord and disk all you need is a lap top to install it on.

i plan on getting it soon just to see how good it is for 200 sounds like a really good deal but i can't say for sure though right yet.

·
Banned
1,120 Posts
I suppose the scan gauge could monitor my deltas?

it will monitor the deltas beyond a shadow of a doubt and it's pretty dam accurate.you said 3 coolers had ruptured how far a part from each other were they.have you looked at the gasket on the oil cooler cover.the gasket deteriorates because of some chemical reaction with the oil.

it's usually happens around the middle slightly to the right where water and oil run right beside each other and that's where it mixes.if the gasket is green or a dark purple there is your problem.i have also notice that when i pull oil coolers that handle on the screen for the hpop is no longer there.

either the oil disolved it "SCAREY" or the pump incenerated it.when i install the oil coolers now i take the handle off to avoid it possibbly getting eat by the hpop and taking it out.if money allows it's not that hard to build your own external oil cooler and it will make a night and day difference and your injectors will love it.

you can pm me or i can explain on here if you like.i'm just waiting on my foot to heal so i can get around so i can start on mine.if you do external you go from 40% of your oil being filtered and 60% by passed "that should at least be the other way around but it's not".to 100% of your oil being filtered down to "depending on which filter you use .2 micron" and your motor will let you know it loves the cleaner/cooler oil.

you would be very surprised at how long you can go between oil changes.:liar:

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
I just bought this truck that the oil cooler has failed 3 times in a short period of time. I'm planning on installing a IPR remote oil cooler but before I dig into that what else would a plugged oil cooler cause to fail. It cranks a long time before it starts now and i noticed the oil pressure doesn't come up (the dash gauge) until it starts, so I'm wondering about the LPOP???:eek:hnoes:

What else should I check while I'm in there?

Oh, it's got ARP headstuds,OEM gaskets,new heads, blue fuel spring,new turbo. Never had a tuner on it.
Just going by the amout of oil in the coolant. LOTS of it EVERYWHERE.
FYI, you'll still have the cross contamination risk with the IPR kit. I highly recommend checking out Bulletproof Diesel if you want a 100% solution.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think he got several months out of each cooler. I'm guessing the coolant was still dirty from the last cooler change. I haven't really looked at it yet, waiting till after the holidays.

Would be interesting to see what you have in mind with your cooler/filter idea.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts