Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone on here ever done a oil cooler back flush with IPR High Flow Coolant Filter w/ Manifold? If so can you tell me how to do it right. I have been have some high deltas and took filter off and got crud out of filter. First I'm gonna put the cleaned filter back on and see how it goes from there, just want to be ready.

Attachments

·
Administrator
32,526 Posts
thats not really what I was after
look at the samples is yours running to the two port manifold or the heater hoses

·
Administrator
32,526 Posts
cool so I would flush from that fitting and in both directions

run one end into a bucket so you can monitor the discharge

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how old is your coolant ?
I had a remanned motor put in about 6000m ago didn't know i was supposed to flush system. So coolant is about 6000 old. I'm still cleaning the coolant filter and getting sands out of it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a remanned motor put in about 6000m ago didn't know i was supposed to flush system. So coolant is about 6000 old. I'm still cleaning the coolant filter and getting sands out of it.
This is about the fourth time of putting in plastic jar and shaking the hell out of it, this is a culmination of all the sand so far. I assume this could very well be why I was getting high deltas.
Dishware Ingredient Wood Cuisine Chemical compound

·
Administrator
32,526 Posts
I think if that filter is installed with the manifold and the flow direction is right it should stop any debris from clogging the cooler

I have a remote oil cooler on mine but run the same filter before the remote oil cooler and it works well ,, hopefully you just had a flow restriction at the filter , pre cooler

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To be honest I am not sure, I didnt ask the guy who put the motor in for me. I do know it is orange, lol. I have tried to call him but he isn't answering his phone, because he charged me more money than what he quoted me. so yeah

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Final clean out.
First pic I used a magnet to separate metal from sands.
Second pic is the sands with the metal separated out.
They are both on a standard cottage cheese lid for scale.
This is the first clean out since putting remaned motor in.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
So you were able to bring deltas back in control with just cleaning the filter?

I bought the IPR filter and manifold cover, but never got any miles on the install before I put the BPD air cooled cooler in. The filter installed in line is supposed to clog up and bring the temps up, and then cleaning the filter alone should bring the delta down without the need for a backflush. Its not that IPR wanted temps to go up, its just it clogs the cooling system when the filter gets full, which is not a bad thing if cleaned and at least this stuff does not settle in your oil cooler.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Drove the old girl about 22 miles at about 60-65 even hit 70 mph and did a haul up a 1/4 mile hill which is fairly steep. This is after cleaning the filter and reinstall. I think that did the trick, I will probably go ahead and clean it again in another 3-500 miles, and may even do a flush in near future. What do you all think?

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So you were able to bring deltas back in control with just cleaning the filter?

I bought the IPR filter and manifold cover, but never got any miles on the install before I put the BPD air cooled cooler in. The filter installed in line is supposed to clog up and bring the temps up, and then cleaning the filter alone should bring the delta down without the need for a backflush. Its not that IPR wanted temps to go up, its just it clogs the cooling system when the filter gets full, which is not a bad thing if cleaned and at least this stuff does not settle in your oil cooler.
Yes they are back down within decent range, still plan on flushing but Im gonna do a cple more clean outs before back flush, just for my own piece of mind.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts