Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to change my clogged oil cooler and do an egr delete while im in there. im working on my parts list so i can make sure i have everything ordered and here by 9/9 so i can get to work and not have to worry about not having a part. (truck is 2004 6.0L and pretty sure its an early 04)

heres what ive got so far (bold are the ones i need advice on)

Oil cooler/gaskets - ordered and in the mail
Egr delete - PMM won from their giveaway
homemade up pipe with egr passage delete
sinister coolant filter.- DI is having a sale 120 shipped
turbo oil drain - where to order??
Restore - Where?
Restore+ - where?

25 gallons of Distilled water - will get local
4 gallons of CAT ELC - local store??
New oil - rotella probably or amsoil
oil filter - dealer or better option?
fuel filters - dealer or better option?

Fumoto drain valves for the block - need to order
fumoto drain valve for oil pan - need to order

anything else im missing? planning to do it myself since i cant justify the 1200-1500 bill it would cost me at a shop.

i have a basic knowledge and worked on alot of vehicles suspension and some motor work here and there but this is the first major upgrade to the truck and its seems like a big one.

Any special tools other than basic sockets and wrenches. i have all sizes up to 22mm and then some misc other ones but im not against going to get a tool that will help make the job easier such as wheel steps etc.

:icon_ford:

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Use only motorcraft oil and fuel filters from ford. Turbo drain also from ford. Restore and restore + is a cummins product I do believe

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Getting ready to change my clogged oil cooler and do an egr delete while im in there. im working on my parts list so i can make sure i have everything ordered and here by 9/9 so i can get to work and not have to worry about not having a part. (truck is 2004 6.0L and pretty sure its an early 04)

heres what ive got so far (bold are the ones i need advice on)

Oil cooler/gaskets - ordered and in the mail
Egr delete - PMM won from their giveaway
homemade up pipe with egr passage delete
sinister coolant filter.- DI is having a sale 120 shipped
turbo oil drain - where to order??
Restore - Where?
Restore+ - where?

25 gallons of Distilled water - will get local
4 gallons of CAT ELC - local store??
New oil - rotella probably or amsoil
oil filter - dealer or better option?
fuel filters - dealer or better option?

Fumoto drain valves for the block - need to order
fumoto drain valve for oil pan - need to order

anything else im missing? planning to do it myself since i cant justify the 1200-1500 bill it would cost me at a shop.

i have a basic knowledge and worked on alot of vehicles suspension and some motor work here and there but this is the first major upgrade to the truck and its seems like a big one.

Any special tools other than basic sockets and wrenches. i have all sizes up to 22mm and then some misc other ones but im not against going to get a tool that will help make the job easier such as wheel steps etc.

:icon_ford:
Restore etc and the turbo drain I got at the stealership.

Do valvoline blue oil 5W40... a full synthetic. Trust me.

Personally I only use Motorocraft fitlers ;)

I also have an early '04 (build date is 10/2003) and I used the Ford Gold coolant (yup, this will spark controversy and nope I'm not going to argue with anyone over it)

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
let me clarify on the filters im wondering if theres somewhere else to get them online thats reasonably fast shipping and cheaper then going to the dealer

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
let me clarify on the filters im wondering if theres somewhere else to get them online thats reasonably fast shipping and cheaper then going to the dealer
Sorry doll, my stealership keeps 'em in stock so I don't go anywhere else :dunno:

·
Registered
867 Posts
Dieselfiltersonline.com

I am about to order a bunch of oil and fuel filters from them.

Todd

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks gonna check them out but might hold off on fuel filters and end up at ford getting the oil one

·
Registered
867 Posts
thanks gonna check them out but might hold off on fuel filters and end up at ford getting the oil one
In that case go to walmart - they have the oil filters there - no need to pay stealership prices if you dont have to. If you are just buying one then it will be cheaper to do it this way - I am buying 3 oil and 2 fuel filter setups to help amortize the shipping.

Todd

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
they do sell motorcraft oil dont they hmm..

also just remembered what size is the oil filter cap? 36mm right?

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
36mm for oil cap and HFCM cap.
24mm for upper fuel bowl filter.

Don't be tempted to use 1/2" drive, been there, done that!!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im guesing you broke it?? haha. thats good advice cuz ive been to to use considerable force with my 1/2"

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
The best place for filters is if you have a International dealer close. I pay like $33 for the pair of fuel filters at International. I have my oil changed at the dealer so I have never bought a oil filter, but I would assume they are cheaper at International too.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
BTW here is the fuel filter part number if you need it. They are Racor filters which is the exact same filter as a Motorcraft. They just put it in a box with the Motorcraft logo:

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
I'm gonna convince this guy to ship to Canada lol he has all the upgrades I need for cheeeeeap!
yeah he has really good prices. I bought the updated oil feed line from him for $50/shipped

·
Registered
224 Posts
I got the Restore at a semi dealer and service... Any big rig place will have it

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks so far guys. Anyone know if there's an international dealer in Houston. I'm sure there is. Also think I'm postponing the work till October to gather more help. Anyone in the Houston area want to help. Haha. Otherwise I might see about getting a cs group together.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts