Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone im hoping someone here has been through a similar problem. 1996 7.3. iv been chasing an oil consumption problem for a quit a while now, its not the turbo, the injector O rings are good and there is no oil getting to the fuel bowl, iv changed the valve stem seals, its not leaking. I will go through about 1-2 quarts per tank (smaller dual tanks btw) depending on how hard im running the truck, it smokes pretty bad on start up (grey with a hint of blue) but runs very smooth and has great power, the smoke goes away after driving but will return if im idling for too long. I took a compression test most are about 370psi. The best is 390 and the lowest is 320. Thats a 17% drop wich i cant belive would be burning that much oil. I also noticed the injector on that hole has a small bump in the middle like it got really hot and swelled. There is more oil comming out of that solonoid weep hole then the rest and it also appears there is less oil comming out of the disscharge on that particular injector. I had bought this whole injector set from accurate diesel and since then it has been drinking oil like this (i chalked it up to a leak i had at the time)

·
Premium Member
4,064 Posts
CCV/PCV. If you pull the intake is there oil in the inlet of the turbo? Are those boots soaked with oil?

Do you have much blow by? Most common is the Crank Case Vent that goes in to the inlet and most just route it to a catch can.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a quit a bit of vapor that comes out of the vent but it doesnt puff nor feel to have lots of pressure behind it. I run delo, im not sure if it tends to steam more then other oils. I also had re routed the vent line for a while and saw no difference in exhaust smoke or oil consumption

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has minimal play. I drove with the down pipe unhooked so i could peak into the exhaust side while driving around. Driving easy, hard. Cold engine or hot engine i never found any oil on either side of the turbo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No oil in coolant or vise versa. I had replaced the O rings thinking that was it. They looked just fine and had no evidence of leaking. I use plenty of oil and install them very gently. Still no oil in the fuel bowl so im very confident thats not whats happening

·
Premium Member
4,064 Posts
So ruled out:
-Injector O-rings (new)
-CCV (rerouted)
-Valve stem seals (new)
-Oil cooler (no oil in coolant)

If it's not pushing in to the turbo or some how cracked injector cups causing it then it could only be piston rings. Could possibly be cracked if starting fluid was used at some point. Even with good compression it could be a wild possibility.

I haven't heard of glow plugs leaking down but who knows?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also had changed the glow plugs last time i did the injector O rings aswell, i have read in some rare cases the internal injector O rings can fail and push oil into the fuel side without it backing up into the fuel bowl. Im hoping thats the case but that one cylinder at 320PSI also has me wondering if thats it.

·
Premium Member
4,064 Posts
I wouldn't rule that out with the injectors.

Grab a temp gun and check each cylinder on the exhaust manifold and see if anything obvious pops out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I take it if one injector is pushing alot of oil through then the manifold will be a bit cooler on that cylinder?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts