Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum, and although I have a lot of learning to do when it comes to navigating the site, I’m nearly positive I am the first, and possibly the only one, interested in doing something like this. Now to my question:

My dad can turn the motor over in his 01 Ranger without the injectors spraying by simply turning the key on, holding the gas pedal to the floor for 5-10 seconds, then turning the motor over. I am highly interested in figuring out a way to do this with my 6.7 for obvious reasons, after an oil change, in cold weather, and after the truck sets for awhile, all to circulate the oil before actually starting the truck. Is this possible? Suggestions, or just shutting me down and telling me it’s not possible will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
That Ranger a gasser?, it is common for the injectors to cut off like that to overcome flooding in gas engines
Never heard of that on a diesel

Cranking speeds are not fast enough to reliably circulate oil in an engine -- a fast idle is recommended

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That Ranger a gasser?, it is common for the injectors to cut off like that to overcome flooding in gas engines
Never heard of that on a diesel

Cranking speeds are not fast enough to reliably circulate oil in an engine -- a fast idle is recommended
Yes, 4.0 SOHC. He would always turn the motor over after an oil change until the oil pressure was where it was supposed to be, started the truck, and it always ran quietly as if all the oil was where it needed to be. If the 6.7 can’t circulate the 13 quarts of oil like his ranger can it’s 5 quarts, then I reckon there is no point. Thanks for the reply.

·
Premium Member
11,798 Posts
While I do recall a "trick" of sorts for this on the 6.0L tucks, I can't speak of one for the 6.7L trucks. I'm sure there's a way to get it done, but you would most likely need to pop the hood the get it done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While I do recall a "trick" of sorts for this on the 6.0L tucks, I can't speak of one for the 6.7L trucks. I'm sure there's a way to get it done, but you would most likely need to pop the hood the get it done.
I’m sure I could tinker and disconnect a sensor on the injector harness until I found the right one, or maybe disable all the injectors with ids or some scan tool. But I’d never be able to stop there. I’d keep tinkering till I found a way to do it while in cab with a switch other than an up fitter switch because, I’m no electrical expert, but I’m sure if had that right sensor wired to an up fitter, it would cause problems having a constant 12 volt connection going to it all the time. I would probably end up doing more harm than good, so I turned here for suggestions.

·
Premium Member
11,798 Posts
You asked a one-off kind of question. Not really sure how to do it. Sounds like you want to power the starter relay without the key being turned. I'm not sure what happens when you do that......could be bad. I just know the 6.0L guys had a trick to do what you wanted when putting the motor back together. If you read up there you could get an idea of how it could work on a 6.7L.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You asked a one-off kind of question. Not really sure how to do it. Sounds like you want to power the starter relay without the key being turned. I'm not sure what happens when you do that......could be bad. I just know the 6.0L guys had a trick to do what you wanted when putting the motor back together. If you read up there you could get an idea of how it could work on a 6.7L.
Definitely one of a kind, but if it does what I intend, I think it could be beneficial. I’ll check on the 6.0 forums, thanks for pointing me in a good direction!

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
The 6.0 has a starter jumper wire that will turn the engine with the key off -- but has to be done from under the hood

Your trying to "prime" the system and avoid a dry start, I get that -- it would be better to start the engine and use the faster than cranking RPM to do this
the load on the bearings would not be much different and the pump will prime the system much quicker

Given there is residual oil in the system and bearings -- which is better? a long crank to prime or a short time at idle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The 6.0 has a starter jumper wire that will turn the engine with the key off -- but has to be done from under the hood

Your trying to "prime" the system and avoid a dry start, I get that -- it would be better to start the engine and use the faster than cranking RPM to do this
the load on the bearings would not be much different and the pump will prime the system much quicker

Given there is residual oil in the system and bearings -- which is better? a long crank to prime or a short time at idle
Forgive my ignorance, but are you talking about a high idle? I have a high idle switch set on 1000 rpms. Also are you saying the 6.7 starter couldn’t be rigged to engage with the key off, say by a switch? HeavyAssault got my hopes up that maybe that would work, but I got to thinking, how would I figure how well it works with no oil pressure gauge? So now I’m searching the forums trying to find a way to monitor oil pressure. Once I get my mind set on something, I have to know if it works and how well it works.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
This sounds like a lot of work to try something in hopes it doesn't do any damage every 5k when you do an oil change. Hundreds of thousands of 6.7's get their oil changed the "normal" way and there hasn't been any failures or anything to worry about. Why reinvent the wheel when the current one works.

Reactions: Spirit

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This sounds like a lot of work to try something in hopes it doesn't do any damage every 5k when you do an oil change. Hundreds of thousands of 6.7's get their oil changed the "normal" way and there hasn't been any failures or anything to worry about. Why reinvent the wheel when the current one works.
Well I work on the road and have the rest of the month off, so I need to keep myself occupied one way or the other. I’m not saying it won’t or will cause problems in the future, but I see no harm in turning the motor over with the starter while the key is off and seeing how it builds oil pressure. Before I get into buying an oil pressure gauge and getting that set up I figured the next best thing to do would be to change the oil, prefill the filter, turn the motor over for 5 seconds 2-3 times while letting the starter cool in between, and seeing how smooth it starts up with 15w40 oil. Yes, could be a waste of time, but I have plenty of time.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Certainly not the first one to wonder if you can prime without starting. Mine sets for long periods of time due to me having a company truck. Question I have is have you tried holding the pedal to the floor and starting? Suppose I could also but just haven't. Mine isn't easily accessible as it sets in storage hooked to travel trailer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts