Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '03 F250 7.3 PSD. My question is. I only put on 4,000 miles in a year maybe. Retired, live in Wisconsin. oil change for summer and winter. can I run 5W40 Rotella syn. all year around?? 17 quarts each change, 2 times a year is ALOT of money!!!!! :dunno:

·
Banned
1,089 Posts
If the rotella syn is something like Amsoil or Schafers, they say you can run over a year on an oil change (with proper filtering)...

but if I were you, I'd just do an oil analysis to check it out and see what your needs are from there...

·
Registered
601 Posts
i dont think a 5w-40 would hurt anything in the summer. I thought amsoil said 1year in nonturbo diesels and 6months in turbo diesels?

·
Banned
1,089 Posts
You could be right -- I'm just going by what I've seen on all sorts of forums..

I think most people taht are going to try to do extended intervals do Oil Analysis anyway.... just to be safe

·
Registered
360 Posts
Your truck should only take 15 quarts, not 17...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oil change

'03 7.3 PSD. Late last fall changed my oil, no new filter, put in 16 quarts truck on level ground. the dip stick was about ¼" from the top of the shaded area. So with a new oil filter it should take around 17 quarts.I don't have a service manual. Any techs know for sure?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I worked as a lube tech for close to 2 years...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oil change

Sinac. Sorry for some bad info! checked my notes 12 quarts, no new filter. brought the dip stick level to the middle of the shaded area:doh:

·
Registered
360 Posts
No hard feelings:hehe: But 12 with no filter sounds about right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts