Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there, new guy again, I recently bought a 2004 f250sd with a 6.0l. The trucks owners manual says I need sh or si oil. I just changed the oil and used sj-4, rotella t. is this ok. oh, it was 15w45. thanks

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
hey there, new guy again, I recently bought a 2004 f250sd with a 6.0l. The trucks owners manual says I need sh or si oil. I just changed the oil and used sj-4, rotella t. is this ok. oh, it was 15w45. thanks
The sh and si oil are intended for pre 08 powerstroke engines. You can use the sj-4 oil but the oil change interval is cut in half. Needs to be changed at 2500 miles instead of 5000 miles. Has something to do with the new ulsd fuel. Hope this helps some, and if I'm not 100% correct, I'm sure someone will let me know :nod:.

·
Registered
517 Posts
On my 97 I`m using Rotella 15w40 but I am planning on changing to Amsoil or Castrol synthetic. (more protection and actually cheaper if you factor in the oil change intervals).

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
i have been running royal purple, its a little pricey but what a differance it makes. what is the best chip system for the 05 6.0 turbo diesel?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Use amsoil, and double the service interval to 10k. They say it will go 25k, but apparently the way I drive it doesn't last that long. You should also notice a little mileage increase when switching over.

I put amsoil in everything that holds fluid. When I switched my lawnmower over to amsoil, my grass became much greener, and I haven't had any clover or ant problems since. I believe Amsoil is the answer to world peace.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I heard Amsoil is the SH*T, just change ur filter and go

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I wouldn't go that far. The "Change the filter and Go" system only works with frequent oil analysis, which costs about $26 every 15k.

·
Premium Member
2,167 Posts
Use amsoil, and double the service interval to 10k. They say it will go 25k, but apparently the way I drive it doesn't last that long. You should also notice a little mileage increase when switching over.

I put amsoil in everything that holds fluid. When I switched my lawnmower over to amsoil, my grass became much greener, and I haven't had any clover or ant problems since. I believe Amsoil is the answer to world peace.
:hehe::hehe::hehe: That is to funny...

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I've been happy with my 5-40 Rotella Syn. So far I have about 4k on it and it's still in good shape, MPG's haven't dropped and it's not nasty looking. That's my free oil anaylysis. Look, feel and MPG's. But I can't see myself running it longer than 6-7k.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've been happy with my 5-40 Rotella Syn. So far I have about 4k on it and it's still in good shape, MPG's haven't dropped and it's not nasty looking. That's my free oil anaylysis. Look, feel and MPG's. But I can't see myself running it longer than 6-7k.
I found a PDF with the results of something like 600 oil analysis samples. Seems like you might be interested in that sort of thing, so let me know and I'd be glad to send it to ya

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have been runing Rotella 15-40 and the ford manual says change every 7500mi so that is what I do... So what are the oils that seem to give you better millage? and longer service intervals?

·
Registered
517 Posts
A good synthetic oil and a good filter is very important. Amsoil syn, Castrol syn, Mobile 1 syn. come to mind. Motocraft filter FL1995 and the Amsoil filter (I like this one) are good choices. Recommended change is 25000 mi. but I think 15000 or so is better depending on towing, getting on it etc. Diesels run better with new oil in it. One guy I know gets 25000 on his oil and sends a sample in and if it tests good he changes the filter only but I don`t recommend that. You will get much better protection for your engine and if you balance the cost per change it is actually cheaper than regular oils.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts