Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
After owning 6.4L for 2 days so far, I wanted to get the maintance up to date in my book and started with a regular oil change. Last oil change was done 5k miles ago and it was time for a new one.

After reading and searching about how to do it, (sorry my first Diesel ever) I decided i would take some pics as I go, so other newbies like myself, can save money and do it themselves.

It was pretty easy, except for a tremendous amount of oil in the pan LOL.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
TOOLS & MATERIALS NEEDED

Wrench & extension
19mm & 36mm socket
Rags
15qts of oil (Motorcraft 15w40 CJ-4)
Motorcraft oil filter FL2016
Drain bucket

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the materials needed. Optional motorcraft FD4609 or Updated FD4617 fuel filters. I did the fuel filter change as well, just to be safe then sorry.

I drove the truck half way up on the ramps for easier clearance of my 5 gal bucket I used for draining oil.

Use 36mm socket and loosen the the cap the one closer to the passenger side.

Pull up the cap assembly with the old oil filter still attached, and discard in the bucket. Remove old rubber washer from the cap assembly and wipe off all the dirt off. install a new rubber washer and rub some new oil on it.

Picture of old vs new filter.

Crawl under the truck and use a 19mm socket with a wrench to loosen the drain bolt. Position the bucket under neath the oil pan and drain the oil.

After all of the oil drained down, reinstall the drain bolt with a new copper washer and tighten it down. ( I hand tighten mine and do half turn with a wrench)

This time, you can reinstall the oil filter assembly, and tighten it down. get a funnel and pour 15 qts of your preferred oil. Remove all the tools from the engine bay, reinstall the oil cap, and crank the engine. Turn the engine off, and check the dipstick for level of oil. I use the short method, where you only put the dibstick where the yellow plastic starts.

I took me total of 2 hrs, along with taking pictures and doing the fuel filter change. Next time It should take half the time. Just wanted to contribute to this forum with something useful. Please feel free to add a comment or a correction.

Thanks,
Jacob

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Good write up but please get rid of those ramps. My buddy had a Caprice up on a set of them and they blew out on him. They were less than a year old. The car weighs 4200lbs. Your truck is upwards of 8000lbs.

Just a word of caution.

But nevertheless. Good write up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for the warning. I'm a big guy and do it without ramps easy. Just a furniture pad to slide in under on and a low profile oil catcher.

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
dont forget the lower fuel filter... i forgot what the interval was (every other oil change) i forget but most psd owner's forget this or jus look it over,and this is a prob with the 6.4......change em fella's, it's imperitive!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
I am about 6'5 240 or so and if it's a job 1 truck without the big spoiler I can creeper under it okay at the front... but my truck is a Job 3, as are most of the ones I work on at the shop.

So it either goes up on the hoist, or I sneak attack it from the back, slide up from behind the running boards on the creeper and try to avoid catching my shirt/hair/etc. in the wheels.

·
Beach Bum
2014 F250 CCSB 4wd
26,655 Posts
good write up man !

on those ramps, i agree with BAH, when my truck was in the process of getting out of a mud pit for being stuck, i had a metal trailer ramp for the bump. and my truck bent it to curve with the hill bend. other words it it was almost at a 45* angle.

but, i came up with a way to change our car oil since they are hard to get under for the drain pan. ramps on rims. (already got the ramp repaired and reinforced)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dont forget the lower fuel filter... i forgot what the interval was (every other oil change) i forget but most psd owner's forget this or jus look it over,and this is a prob with the 6.4......change em fella's, it's imperitive!!!!!
thanks for the heads up although I did chane upper and lower fuel filters and drain some diesel from the seperator. And took a nice warm shower in diesel

·
Registered
436 Posts
Good write up but please get rid of those ramps. My buddy had a Caprice up on a set of them and they blew out on him. They were less than a year old. The car weighs 4200lbs. Your truck is upwards of 8000lbs.

Just a word of caution.

But nevertheless. Good write up.
Hmmm....I've used ramps like these for years. My dad has a set that's probably 15 years old and we've never had a problem. You've got me scared now! haha

:icon_ford:

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
I know my life is worth more than a set of ramps. (Most days). As well, the PROPER INDUSTRY ACCEPTED standard would have to be jackstands after the vehicle being jacked up and blocked properly.

Not trying to be an a-hole, just adding input to my jack experience. As well -- I don't see any wheel chocks, and your driveway is on an angle, risking a roll-away. A park pawl isn't real safe to work against!

Safety first! Again, awesome photos and writeup.

And don't feel bad about the time you took to do it, we used to get paid 1.8 for a maintenance oil change and fuel filters and draining the HFCM on a diesel at one shop I worked at.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
I drove the truck half way up on the ramps for easier clearance of my 5 gal bucket I used for draining oil.
Nice write up. Just curious why you only pulled the truck halfway up the ramps instead of all the way.

Edit: I'm assuming it is so the oil drain would be coser to the bucket to prevent messing up that nice driveway.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice write up. Just curious why you only pulled the truck halfway up the ramps instead of all the way.

Edit: I'm assuming it is so the oil drain would be coser to the bucket to prevent messing up that nice driveway.
So I could gain 1" more of clearance to slide the bucket through the front axle. I wasnt even half way up the ramp, more like quarter way up there. Otherwise I wouldnt use the ramps if the bucket would clear the axle, and i even tried it through the step bars and the rear of the truck lol. :)

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,891 Posts
So I could gain 1" more of clearance to slide the bucket through the front axle. I wasnt even half way up the ramp, more like quarter way up there. Otherwise I wouldnt use the ramps if the bucket would clear the axle, and i even tried it through the step bars and the rear of the truck lol. :)
Sounds like a good excuse for a lift.....:hehe:

Nice write up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
A couple of pointers....

Add a Fumoto drain valve and put a little grease on that o-ring so the cap comes off easier next time.

Take the top fuel filter cap off and open the water drain valve and let the diesel run out before taking the bottom filter off. No bath that way.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Where exactly is the lower fuel filter? I know about the seperator...

·
Banned
337 Posts
Thanks for the write up and pic's, funny how pics can up confidence with doing it myself:thumb:

·
Registered
313 Posts
It would be good to get a torque wrench and torque the drain plug to specs, it'll greatly reduce the chances of stripping it out after years of oil changes.

·
Registered
921 Posts
filter is techinically in the seperator.. kinda hard to get to

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It would be good to get a torque wrench and torque the drain plug to specs, it'll greatly reduce the chances of stripping it out after years of oil changes.
If you have done several oil changes, you'll know when tight is tight :wink[3]:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts