Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The owners manual and Ford Pass says to go 10,000 miles between oil changes. I currently have 3000 on my F350 DRW.

Seems like too many miles to me. Thoughts?

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
Generally speaking 5k was the normal but you'll see many follow 10k with the 6.7ls when running full synthetic oil. this is HOTLY DEBATED so prepare.... Best case. run the oil to 5k and send to blackstone oil lab and see if they say extend or reduce then go from there etc. My guess is most follow the 5k or 10k rule unless very heavy towing/high idle theyd change earlier or for easy highway miles change later etc.

·
Super Moderator
9,602 Posts
Stop using the mindset from the 1950's for oil changes. I'd drive it till the system message pops up, then decide my own intervals. Most people will easily go 5k, some run 7.5k, with the final group going to 10k intervals. A VERY small group will go all out with the test reports and run it till the report says to change the oil.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
When the truck says it is due, so shall it be. The algorithm is based on 10-30 conventional oil. Or whatever the MC 10-30 is....blend? Anyway, I use a good full synthetic 5-40 so I know it will outperform the standard oil. I've done 6000 between changes and 9000 between them.

Reactions: HeavyAssault

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. I'll have a Blackstone Report run after the first change. Thinking I'll go 5000 as it's the first change and go with full synthetic.

Here we go. What full synthetic oil do y'all use? Should I create another post for this?

·
Super Moderator
9,602 Posts
Rot T6 is a common favorite. Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme is a good choice. Spend what you want, just consider the product availability and if you travel around a bunch.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have been using Rotella T6 5W40 but on my next oil change I'm thinking of going to Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5W40 because I read somewhere it is also low ash (like Rotella) but will confirm before I buy.
I have read that Chevron Delo is low ash but I have only been able to find it in Delo 600 ADF 15W-40 and Delo 600 ADF 10W-30. I would like to stay with 5W40 and/or full synthetic. My primary interest in Delo is that its website actually says that it reduces ash formation enough to extend the life of the DPF by 2.5 times.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts