Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard various suggestions as to oil change intervals on the 6.0. Mine is a '06 in an F250 automatic. Though I do have a heavy 5er that I tow from time to time (not too many miles each year) most of my driving is around town to and from work unloaded. Phoenix AZ can be quite dusty so that might also change the suggestions. Just curious if there is something that is more objective as to the interval between changes. :confused:

Ken....

·
Registered
130 Posts
Based on your driving conditions, I would consider following the 'severe' recommendations. Granted, there is only 2500 miles difference between the two, but still, since I also pull a heavy 5W occasionally, I am comfortable with the 5000 mile schedule and even though it's 14+ quarts of oil, I would rather err on the side of over-maintenance in this case.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
I am a firm believer in running synthetic oil and high quality bypass filtering and using oil analysis. There are no questions when you have a peice of paper in your hand that gives you ALL the info possible about your oil. More than likely you'll will find that 5k with good oil and a bypass filter is rediculous and you can see 40-50k+ between changes.
The oil analysis will tell you everything from your oil's viscosity to how much fuel and water is diluted in it, how much and what type of wear metals are present, how much silica (dirt that makes it past the air filter) and so on. You just take a sample when ever you want. I usually have customers take one about 500-1000 miles from a filter change so they have the report back before they change the filters out.

More information can be found here.

·
Nuckin' Futz
700 Posts
I would say there is nothing wrong with the good old 3000 mile change especially if you own other vehicles that are gasoline just do them all at once at 3000 miles. Also powerstroke injectors are a bit more sensitive than lets say a pre common rail Cummins'. Therefore, you need to keep your maintainence schedules more rigidly than with other diesels. It sounds like where you are from you would almost need to change it more frequently due to the fact that like 2006KR said it would qualify for severe duty. Toolin' around town and puttsing along is not necessarily good for a diesel...its what causes sulfer contamination in your oil, not so much now with the new fuel. Diesels like to run at a constant speed. so they naturally like highway miles. Highway mile intervals are higher because although the engine is reving higher its not working as hard and the rings are seated more soundly and not to mention the oil pump is pumping the oil faster through the engine so oil doesn't have to sit in one spot for so long. I agree with Diesel Nut in him saying that bypass filtering systems make the world of difference. I say stick with the good old 3000 miles. It may cost more money to do it this way but hopefully you knew what you were getting into in the world of Diesel engine maintainence

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
I don't mean to change the subject, but since you mentioned gassers, with Amsoil you run 25K miles or 1 year between oil changes with a full flow oil filter. Whichever comes first.

Not meaning to start a war here. To each their own. Just wanting to throw some more info out so maybe others who don't know might learn something new.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I don't tow with my truck and I change the oil every 5000 miles. I use Shell Rotella T 5W-40 synthetic and send a sample the Blackstone at each oil change. Keith

J

·
0 Posts
Oil change.

Being a Ford diesel tech I will tell you that I would not reccomend anything over 4000 miles. I'm not getting into a war why but I will tell you that. Many of the 6.0 problems are DIRECTLY related to oil changes.

P.S. I change mine at 3000.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Man, what a huge spectrum of opinions on this subject.
An oil analysis is the only way to prove what change interval you need to be using. Based on the different oils types available, the different driving habits of different truck, etc. Blackstone-lab will tell you everything about your oil and how much more or less life you should be able to get from it. Wait till the reccomended 5000 miles, change it and at the same time get a pint sample of that 5000 mile oil and send it in to Blackstone and pay 20 bucks for a full report and tell them your interested in optomizing your oil change interval. They may analize it and say it's worn out and reccomend you change it at 4000 next time. They may also tell you its still holding up and you can try 6000 miles next time. and so on. Take the guess work out and get it to a lab and find out for sure. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, that is a bunch of suggestions and I certainly thank everybody :) ... I took it in yesterday for the 10k maintenance and interestingly enough they wrote on the windshield tag to do it at 13k. That was at the Ford dealership. Knowing the whole 15 quart thing and the cost of the fuel filters, etc. I purchased the maintenance program as well when I bought the truck so it's on them anyway :D . I'll see if they just go with the schedule or if they can change it every 3k on the maintenance program. Will be interesting to see....

By the way, this all started after talking with my favorite tech who does the work on my 72 Skylark. One of his techs is certified in the various diesels out there including the Powerstroke. He brought up the same thing about the injectors.

Ken....

·
Nuckin' Futz
700 Posts
Diesel Nut are you an Amsoil Dealer? I have a friend who is one and you sound an awful lot like him. I know that amsoil makes good stuff im looking at getting the precharger(pre luber) and bypass oil filtration system. However, i cannot use synthetic in my truck because it is older and every seal in the thing would leak but if i had a new truck i would definitely switch

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Yes I am a dealer.

The only reason your truck would leak is if the seals are dried out and been starved of the swelling additives that oil contains. The only way this would be possible is if you have been really terrible about changing the oil and there is a ton of sludge in the engine. In a well maintained vehicle without oil leaks there is rarely an issue.
However, if there are a ton of miles, like over 125k or more, I usually don't recommend it.

·
Nuckin' Futz
700 Posts
Heres a question for ya. The truck has 121,000 on it but i believe it is the second engine via the International rebuilt engine sticker on the valve cover. I believe that the engine is actually fairly new because the oil on the stick comes out very clean for a diesel. The 97 strokers i work on usually come out blacker than night. so my question is if i were to switch should i run a synthetic blend for one oil change then go completely synthetic or just go straight synthetic?

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
I would run a 2 bottles of Amsoil Motor Flush through the motor while it is cold or cool according to the instructions on the bottle. This will insure that any garbage in the motor is safely removed without the chance of any damage to the seals.

Then, change the oil and fill with your favorite synthetic 15w-40.
Obviously, I suggest Amsoil AME 15W-40 and Amsoil Filters (EaO99 for yours, or the dual filter bypass system).

·
Registered
88 Posts
My opinion on the oil change interval is that you should save your $20 for sending your oil sample off to be tested, and just put that money into oil and go ahead and change it every 3000 miles. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Not to cause a stink or such, but these engines were designed and built by folks that are waaaaaay more knowledgeable than I, so if the recommend 7500 miles (5000 sever conditions in my case as I pull a heafty trailer), then bottom line .... I'm going to follow their recommendations. If you feel you need an OA, go for it. By the time you get your pre-filter, synthetic oil, super duper mico fine oil filters, etc, etc so you can go for extended changes, you could have been doing it every 5000 miles with dino oil and not spend any more. If your still paranoid, do an OA every other oil change. As to seeing commericals about "hey, we used XXXX oil, driained the crankcase and ran it for an additional 1000 miles". Uh huh, and my neighbors bull produces 25 gallons of milk a day and can jump the moon in a single bound, blindfolded! I have yet to see definate proof that say starting at day 1, you take 2 identical engines (#1 one only serviced with syntheic and all associated stuff, OA, extended oil change intervals - and #2 maintained according to mfg recommendations), in 2 identical vehicles,ran the identical way with identical load and operating conditions, and at the end of say 100,000 miles, torn down and the syntheic engine being in better shape than the dino engine.

Just my two cents, but I have better things do do with my hard earned money.

Larry

·
Registered
88 Posts
The major gap here in the people making recomendations on oil change intervals and the people listening is who is going to have to pay for the results. When something goes wrong, those people making the recomendations for oil change intervals are going to tuck tail and run. You will look back on it and say you saved $500 in oil on a $7000 engine. We must remember that our injectors are pressurised by oil!!! So the oil change is very important on our trucks. If you read back, Stroketechintraining recomended 4000 miles, I am still comfertable with that, and he is a tech. The bottom line is there are plenty of opinions out there, but it comes down to if you think 7500, 10000, 20000 Mile oil changes are really ok with you??!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
dragr8cer said:
My opinion on the oil change interval is that you should save your $20 for sending your oil sample off to be tested, and just put that money into oil and go ahead and change it every 3000 miles. Just my two cents.
I am using the test to determine other things besides oil change interval. I am fueling my diesel with waste vegi oil and want to know if I have any polymerization taking place in my oil from any blow by that could contaminate my crank oil.
My truck averaged 65 miles per gallon of diesel on my last fill up (2300 miles on 33 gallons of diesel). Whats your getting?
:nana:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would sure like to be able to make that stuff. then I could throw it in everyones face. especially those ricers:D

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
I don't make anything. Your thinking of Biodiesel. Thats a little more involved.
I'm running straight waste vegi oil from the local fryed chicken place i eat at weekely.
I pump 150 gallons out of there grease dumpster each time i go collect. Come home and pump it into a fitering device i made with an old hot water heater and a 12 gpm pump. Heat it and let settle to dewater it, pump it through a 5 micron filter to clean it up and pump it into the truck tank. The truck has a conversion system on it to allow me to properly use WVO as fuel. Check out my sig if you want to read about the "Vegistroke" system.
It's easy! you should try it.
I drove up to Nebraska to visit my brother - 500 one way so i drove 1000 miles and used less than one gallon of diesel!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts