Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
powerstrokin
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I will be doing my first oil change since I've bought the truck this weekend and I was wondering what everyone could tell me to help out.
What filter and oil do you use?
How much oil is needed?
Any tricks?
Anything else you guys think I should check this weekend before I drive 2000 miles home next week?
I just cleaned my air filter.

·
Registered
601 Posts
i like your choice in truck color:thumb:
it holds 14qts i think. everyone on here likes the rotella 15w-40. i have used amsoil oil and filter with great sucess and just tried royal purple 15-40 diesel motor oil and so far it has love it but a couple people on here have had trouble possibly related to the use of RP.
you may want to change your fuel filter while your under there, never hurts.
do you know if the cam sensor recall has been done yet?

·
powerstrokin
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i like your choice in truck color:thumb:
it holds 14qts i think. everyone on here likes the rotella 15w-40. i have used amsoil oil and filter with great sucess and just tried royal purple 15-40 diesel motor oil and so far it has love it but a couple people on here have had trouble possibly related to the use of RP.
you may want to change your fuel filter while your under there, never hurts.
do you know if the cam sensor recall has been done yet?
haha yea I love red trucks
Is it much trouble to change the fuel filter?
And yes the cam sensor has been changed.
thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
20,358 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
why not go with 15-40, it isnt cold anymore?
the fuel filter is very easy to do. remove the plastic powerstroke cover on top of the engine and under it you will see a black plastic lid. there should be an insert for a ratchet to slide into it, unscrew that and there is your fuel filter. drop the new filter in and put it all back together and your done. it is less then a 5min job.
good luck

·
powerstrokin
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the fuel filter is easy to change.

i ran rotella but now im running amsoil synthetic. you can go longer in between oil changes.
AMSOIL - Stealth Synthetics, Independent Dealer, Motor and Engine Oil, Lubricants, Air Filters, Oil Filters and Greases

you will want the 10W 30 heavy duty diesel oil
so this is the oil you suggest AMSOIL - Synthetic 10W-30/SAE 30 Diesel Oil (ACD)
Should I use a special oil filter as well?
Can I buy this stuff at auto parts stores?

·
Registered
601 Posts
very few stores sell amsoil. you usually have to order. if it is going to be getting hot there soon i would go with there 15-40, if it is still cold then 10-30. get the amsoil filter too.
EDIT::::::i left out the word "hot"

·
powerstrokin
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I might just go with 15w-40 because Its going to pretty hot from here out. I might just run rotella oil for my road trip then change it after I get home with amsoil.

·
Northwest Stroker
212 Posts
I've heard a lot of great things about amsoil. To comment on weight though, I used 15w all winter and it comes down to low teens and single digits at night. I plugged it in only half the time. I had no starting issues. Don't get anyone started on cold weather though, or some guy will go off about how cold really is in Alaska. No offense though to the north of me.

·
powerstrokin
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea I ended up getting some amsoil, but dang that stuff is expensive. Hope its good stuff.

·
Northwest Stroker
212 Posts
I haven't checked into amsoil but, I remembered when I decided to try Royal Purple there was only two places in town that carried it. And only in qt size. Where you able to fine the gal size jugs for amsoil? What filter are you goin with?

·
Rice Hunter
4,036 Posts
TRICK?
Well......if yer like me and like to make it easy try a FUMOTO oil drain valve.
Lot less messy also. I bought mine on eBay.

·
powerstrokin
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I haven't checked into amsoil but, I remembered when I decided to try Royal Purple there was only two places in town that carried it. And only in qt size. Where you able to fine the gal size jugs for amsoil? What filter are you goin with?
Yea I bought a box with two 2.5 gallon jugs so about 20 quarts. I ended up with an amsoil filter as well.

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
First off, this is second hand info.. but I've heard it from a lot of different people...

Royal Purple doesn't work too well in a powerstroke.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
powerstrokin
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I got the oil changed, put in a new fuel filter, and topped off the fluids. Hopefully she is ready for the 2000 mile drive this thursday.

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts

·
powerstrokin
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm heading from Fort Worth to Milwaukee to Atlanta then back to Fort Worth in a few weeks.

All I'm doing is greasing up all the steering components, checking all the fluids, and getting my cps changed out. Also, I got a new ebpv sensor also.. might as well put it in. I have complete faith in my 7.3!

Good luck on your trip! :thumb:
Yea Im hoping I don't have any trouble with my ebpv. Good luck on your trip as well. Im looking forward to mine, my best friend is flying out to drive home with me so we will see what we get into on the way home.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
have you cleaned out the airfilter at all. i would aslo check all your boots. tighten the clampsf dont tighten it as hard as you can just enough to wear you need to use a little force to turn it. i would clean the filter it might improve you gasmilage also check tire pressure.

·
powerstrokin
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yea I cleaned the air filter, it was pretty dirty. I will check the boots tomorrow, thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts