Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working inside a tight budget,but still want to add and oil bypass.Is it possible to drill and tap the factory oil filter & oil filler caps?
I'm thinking if I back them with a nut and lock washer they would do the job.I was going to pick up some new ones to keep in the tool box just incase somethiing didn't work out right.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Sounds like a good ideal to me. Go for it.
Doug

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
I wouldn't tap the filter cover because if you have a leak and by the time you find out about it, it could be way too late. I personally don't like taking shortcuts especially when it comes to something that could ruin the engine. In fact i just priced out a bypass filter system yesterday for a customers 6.0 and the price you pay to do it right is a lot less then rebuilding an engine.

Having said all that I guess it wouldn't be the worst to do it to the filler cap.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not looking to take short cuts Pete,but the set up you sell isn't in the budget right now and neither are the billet caps.
I pull a trailer daily and put about 3000+ miles a month on the odometer.I'm trying to keep it running the best I can without ending up in divorce court for doing the mods.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I can't see it hurting. I would also use some silicone sealant under everything to make sure it is nice and tight (probably high temp sealant).

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
I hear ya about budget concerns, but I doubt an engine rebuild is in the budget either. Just be careful if you decide to go the cheap way cuz I know from experience.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Smokersteve, I don't think you will find one for under fifty ,especially a billet one. The Amsoil bypass filtration kit for 6.0 with billet covers and a free oil analysis is around $335.00 if your a preferred customer. Add 25%if your not a preferred customer.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No one was doing this mod before the billet caps came out for the 6.0l?

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I must say that I have to agree with Pete on this. I would rather spend a little extra even on a budget than have to buy a new engine. Just some other things to consider since you are, by the time you buy filters nuts, bolts, plugs everything you need you probably spent about a hundred dollars. And if your idea doesn't work then your out that hundred (or whatever it may have cost) and back at square one.

Another thought if your total cost is a hundred dollars your a third of the way there for the AMSOIL Single Mount By-Pass Filtration System BMK-21 These kits are made of superior construction and are very dependable. Under normal operation the EaBP filter can filter all the oil in your truck in about 30 minutes or less. With a high level of effciency this kit has the ability to remove particles less than one micro. When using the kit with AMSOIL motor oil and EaO filters the EaBP (bypass filter) can be changed up to 60,000 miles or longer based on oil analysis.

We offer for the BMK-21 kit aluminum billet oil fill and oil filter caps sold separately that you were looking for also.

If I can provide you anymore information about this kit or maybe of any other service please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts