Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Amsoil 5W40. Make sure to get the Amsoil EA filter as well. You get extended drain intervals, the Amsoil warranty and an engine that will thrive with full synthetic oil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not until after the warranty.
AmSoil marketing at it's best. :doh: "Hey buddy, if you use my stuff, when Ford denies your warranty claim, I'll take care of repairing your 20k engine...." Yeah, right. Not a bet I want to take.
Ford calls for 15w40 or 5w40 for any content BioFuel or severe use. Unless you are up north, you are fine with any single rated 15w40 CK-4, or dual rated CJ-4/SM. The difference in oils between the major brands are so small, any difference in wear or engine cleanliness, performance, etc., is negligible. Frankly, Shell and Ford worked together some to get CK-4 Rotella good to go, so that's a strong choice. Personally, I run Valvoline Premium Blue, CJ-4, 15w40.
The ford approved list is here: https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/additionalinfo/dieseloilsWSSM2C171F1.pdf
AmS multi-level-marketing-oil ain't on it.
Why does everyone swallow the pill that makes them think AmSoil has technology or magic that the majors don't?

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 350 with 52k miles; always had oil changed at dealer until now. Buying ford oil filter and fuel filters via Amazon and getting Kendall Super-D XA 15w-40 from local oil distributor. Way cheaper than getting having dealer do it.
h t t p s://kendallmotoroil.com/product/super-d-xa

·
Registered
393 Posts
Not until after the warranty.
AmSoil marketing at it's best. :doh: "Hey buddy, if you use my stuff, when Ford denies your warranty claim, I'll take care of repairing your 20k engine...." Yeah, right. Not a bet I want to take.
Ford calls for 15w40 or 5w40 for any content BioFuel or severe use. Unless you are up north, you are fine with any single rated 15w40 CK-4, or dual rated CJ-4/SM. The difference in oils between the major brands are so small, any difference in wear or engine cleanliness, performance, etc., is negligible. Frankly, Shell and Ford worked together some to get CK-4 Rotella good to go, so that's a strong choice. Personally, I run Valvoline Premium Blue, CJ-4, 15w40.
The ford approved list is here: removed link because of post count
AmS multi-level-marketing-oil ain't on it.
Why does everyone swallow the pill that makes them think AmSoil has technology or magic that the majors don't?

I don't see delo anywhere on that list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
91 Posts
Saw this at Walmart today-
Cheap, but not one of the Castrols that made the list posted above

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
That is the old CJ4 with no CK4 rating so it would be ok to use.

Reactions: HeavyAssault

·
Registered
91 Posts
That is the old CJ4 with no CK4 rating so it would be ok to use.

Then I wonder why it didn't make the list?

Or am I misunderstanding the list to be all approved oils meeting the new spec vs. CK-4's that meet the new spec?

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Then I wonder why it didn't make the list?

Or am I misunderstanding the list to be all approved oils meeting the new spec vs. CK-4's that meet the new spec?

The list is only for oils that are CK4 rated if they have a CJ4 rating but no CK4 on the jug then it is fine.

Reactions: HeavyAssault

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
I was in walmart today and they had that castrol 15w40 on sale for $5 a gallon. I bought 9 gallons because I also run 15w40 in my jeep 4.0.

Reactions: Got Dirt?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I was in walmart today and they had that castrol 15w40 on sale for $5 a gallon. I bought 9 gallons because I also run 15w40 in my jeep 4.0.
That's good, and nothing wrong at all with Castrol, unless you consider it's owned by BP. Go back, stock up, and make a stash of that cheap oil!
Neither of the 2 cost leaders are American owned, Castrol and Harvest King, 11.99 for 2 gallons when on sale. HK is Citgo.

·
Registered
91 Posts

So you run the diesel oil on your gasser?

Was the castrol on sale the same jug as the picture above?

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
So you run the diesel oil on your gasser?

Was the castrol on sale the same jug as the picture above?

Yep I sure do, diesel oil provides better lubrication for older gas engines than the modern gas engine oils do, especially in a flat tappet cam engine like the Jeep 4.0. I also use it in my Yamaha Rhino and my lawnmowers. Yes it was the same oil as the picture above.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yep I sure do, diesel oil provides better lubrication for older gas engines than the modern gas engine oils do, especially in a flat tappet cam engine like the Jeep 4.0. I also use it in my Yamaha Rhino and my lawnmowers. Yes it was the same oil as the picture above.

Good deal.. I've read about other people doing it, just didn't know it was that common. I my have to incorporate that myself. I wish I could find those jugs for five bucks a gallon, I'd fill the cart.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm having a heck of a time fining any of the 5w-40's listed in that sheet locally. If you had to choose between rotella t5 and motocraft using 15w-40, which should I pick?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I know this thread is for the 6.7's, but can I apply this knowledge to my 7.3 ?
Can you guys suggest which oil would be best to use in my 2001 7.3.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm having a heck of a time fining any of the 5w-40's listed in that sheet locally. If you had to choose between rotella t5 and motocraft using 15w-40, which should I pick?

I'd say motorcraft as that's what ford would use. Keeps it simple.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'd say motorcraft as that's what ford would use. Keeps it simple.

YUP! Keep it simple! I go to the dealership every 5k miles. It's like $90. Motorcraft everything. It used to cost me more than that for the materials when I was doing my own changes in my 6.0 with T6. Not to mention the time and energy of doing the work, buying the oil, and oh yeah now I've got to haul a 5 gallon bucket of used oil to the auto store and deal with that! Am I missing something here? Maybe I'm just getting old, but seriously, it's even cheaper! Oil specs?....not my problem.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts