Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought a 2016 Ford Powerstroke F250 to tow my 30' fifthwheel. What type,brand, weight off oil do you recomend?

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Amsoil 5W40. Make sure to get the Amsoil EA filter as well. You get extended drain intervals, the Amsoil warranty and an engine that will thrive with full synthetic oil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
820 Posts
i recommend. Motorcraft oil filters and Delo Synthetic 5w40. I've run T6, Delvac and Amsoil. I get better fuel economy, less engine sounds, less regens and really good Blackstone results with the DELO. I've run all the others and the Amsoil was almost a tie to the DELO but for the cost delo way better. been changing oil around 8000 miles and still have lots of TBN left. Do start to get some fuel dilution at that point, I do idle quite often too. i would take the DELO to around 10k and still be ok. More if i had a double oil filter setup. Not needed though.

I recommend doing Blackstone lab testing every oil change no matter what oil you end up with. IF you are a person that changes oil every 5k no matter what. I recommend a cheap Dino oil then and truck on.

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
Delo brand diesel oil has served great for literally 10s of millions of miles on diesels. I am just frugal but if your truck is not in 20 degree or below temps all the time I never went for the synthetic 5w-40 its great stuff but very $$$$. In above 20 and for normal driving towing a conventional 15w-40 delo will do you just fine.

its gonna be your call and your wallet in the end though :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 16 f250 I tow a 38' 5th with... I put in delo 15w-40 on my first oil change at 5k. Always ran it in my 09 6.4L. The only difference I noticed was the type writer sound more after the oil change when idling in the driveway. I'm going to try Rotella T6 5W-40 with the next change to see if there is a difference. If not, I'll stick with delo 15w-40 as I am the 5k oil interval guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
820 Posts
I have a 16 f250 I tow a 38' 5th with... I put in delo 15w-40 on my first oil change at 5k. Always ran it in my 09 6.4L. The only difference I noticed was the type writer sound more after the oil change when idling in the driveway. I'm going to try Rotella T6 5W-40 with the next change to see if there is a difference. If not, I'll stick with delo 15w-40 as I am the 5k oil interval guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've noticed the lighter weight oils have helped the Typewriter sound.

I had it with the T6 15W40 went away mostly with 5w40 t6 and completely gone with delo 5w40 and amsoil when i used it. Reason Ive stuck with the 5w40 delo for so long now. You can get Delo Syn 5w40 for 18.96 gallon at Wally world. Sometimes at oreily's for 16.95 gallon with Chevron promotion(rare).

I've heard the compromise of 10w30 is suppose to help too.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've noticed the lighter weight oils have helped the Typewriter sound.

I had it with the T6 15W40 went away mostly with 5w40 t6 and completely gone with delo 5w40 and amsoil when i used it. Reason Ive stuck with the 5w40 delo for so long now. You can get Delo Syn 5w40 for 18.96 gallon at Wally world. Sometimes at oreily's for 16.95 gallon with Chevron promotion(rare).

I've heard the compromise of 10w30 is suppose to help too.
Rotella T6 comes only in 5W40 flavor IIRC.

Rotella T4 (aka Rotella T), conventional is available in 15W40 and 10W30.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Synthetic for heavy towing. This means 5w40. Meets the severe duty requirements for the 6.7. Conventional oil breaks down around 240*f iirc. 6.7s are warm engines.
Also Motorcraft filters, do not buy a cheap filter. The most expensive thing you can put in your engine is cheap oil and filter. I guess bad fuel would be a close second...

Not all synthetics are full synthetic, it's something like only needs to be 20% synthetic to put it on the lable.

Also the oil specs just changed, the newest spec is ck4 and FA4. Ford is not a fan of these specs. CJ-4 is what you want. There is a Ford wsm# in your manual that you should technically should be looking for. These new oils rolled out in December of 2016.

I have had good results with t6 and blackstone UOA. Now running mobil esp, similar to the mobil turbo diesel oil. I get it in 5 gallon buckets on "sale" when they have a rebate. If I buy it this way, it costs similar to regular oil. These where ck4 at time of purchase, I don't know what they are now.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
In my '14 I just changed with delo400 10w30 and all Motorcraft filters for oil,fuel and air.plan on changing every 5-7k

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Motorcraft 15w40 every 5K, Motorcraft filters.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Rotella T6 comes only in 5W40 flavor IIRC.

Rotella T4 (aka Rotella T), conventional is available in 15W40 and 10W30.

Meant to say T5, Sorry for the typo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So here is an update on my earlier post about Amsoil 5W40 and EA filter.

So being the cheap *** I can be, my local dealership was doing an oil change special for $89 for diesels. So I jumped at the opportunity to save a couple bucks...worst decision ever.

I allowed them to put the Motorcraft Syn-Blend oil and Ford filter in it. Even at 25K miles with Amsoil I was getting 17-19 MPG highway not towing. The Motorcraft Syn-Blend dropped my mileage to 12-13 MPG highway.

All in all...I'm going back to Amsoil after the 5K interval. It may cost me a few bucks more, but I am sticking with Amsoil....IT WORKS!!

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts

So being the cheap *** I can be, my local dealership was doing an oil change special for $89 for diesels. So I jumped at the opportunity to save a couple bucks...worst decision ever.

I allowed them to put the Motorcraft Syn-Blend oil and Ford filter in it. Even at 25K miles with Amsoil I was getting 17-19 MPG highway not towing. The Motorcraft Syn-Blend dropped my mileage to 12-13 MPG highway.

All in all...I'm going back to Amsoil after the 5K interval. It may cost me a few bucks more, but I am sticking with Amsoil....IT WORKS!!

That's hard to believe that different oil dropped yoour mpg that much, are you sure it isn't due to the winter blend fuel? Or maybe Ford reflashed your computer while you where in there, they are known to do that sometimes, or you may have other issues causing this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's hard to believe that different oil dropped yoour mpg that much, are you sure it isn't due to the winter blend fuel? Or maybe Ford reflashed your computer while you where in there, they are known to do that sometimes, or you may have other issues causing this.

Interesting...I had not considered the flash scenario. I just know the truck ran better; operated at better temps and got better fuel mileage prior to the switch. Even with the winter fuel, I was getting 17 with the Amsoil. I'm in NM do I don't know if the fuel is changed here; but that could make sense. I just can't wait too though 60k mark so I can dump the DEF, DPF, little exhaust and EGR.

2015 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat Crew Cab FX4 6.7 L Powerstroke Diesel

·
Registered
69 Posts

There's no way an oil change dropped your mileage that much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What oil to use?

I know I'm late replying to this post but I use Amsoil 15W-40 in my 2012 F250. I average 17.5 MPG and for some reason when up in New England I average 21 MPG. I tow a camper (21 foot) and get between 10 to 14 MPG dependent upon my location. I also do a lot of idling. I find Amsoil to be the best product and if you go with the XL you can match most oil change stations.

·
Super Moderator
2,709 Posts
Interesting...I had not considered the flash scenario. I just know the truck ran better; operated at better temps and got better fuel mileage prior to the switch. Even with the winter fuel, I was getting 17 with the Amsoil. I'm in NM do I don't know if the fuel is changed here; but that could make sense. I just can't wait too though 60k mark so I can dump the DEF, DPF, little exhaust and EGR.

2015 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat Crew Cab FX4 6.7 L Powerstroke Diesel
Why 60k when your motor warranty is 100k? If you are going to do it at 60k, might as well do it now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
OK so I am new to Diesel Trucks and motors. I guess I always heard that Rotella is some of the best oil you can buy. I understand that everyone has their preferences and to me it does not matter that much and like someone said you should probably put the best stuff you can afford in the motor. I live within 20 miles of Rural King Tractor Supply and Big R so I can get just about anything.

So the question is Rotella Delo Amsoil don't they all have to meet the same requirements or is there something significantly different?I was planning on running the motorcraft filters.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts