Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, what do you think about this? I just got my analysis back from Blackstone and I had elevated levels of metal.

What was found Typical Average
Aluminum 4 2
Chromium 3 1
Iron 29 17
Lead 8 4
Molybdenum 79 21
Boron 382 83

No coolant or fuel was found in the oil and hte engine has 106,000 miles. This is my first analysis, so I don't have a benchmark.
Does anybody think there is anything here to investigate further?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Yea im interested in this as well. Im running rotella 5-40 synthetic and just thinkin about switching back to rotella dino. Im not sold on the synthetic motor oil yet. I guess I just need to man up and test both. lol

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I run Delo 15W40 the new Low Emission Stuff

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BUMP BUMP Bump

bump, bump, bump

·
Registered
517 Posts
Anybody know where the best (cheapest) place is to order the amsoil and filter?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But, are the elevated metal numbers anything to "fuss" about and if so, what should I look for? That is really the key question, at least for me! Appreciate the other replies and suggestions too!

·
Super Moderator
31,733 Posts

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
But, are the elevated metal numbers anything to "fuss" about and if so, what should I look for? That is really the key question, at least for me! Appreciate the other replies and suggestions too!
I would sample again after a couple 3 thousand miles or if you don't have a fumoto valve do it on the next oil change and see if your number stay elevated or not.

·
Registered
101 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
I just got my oil report, and I have 15 PPM for lead. What bearings go out to cause the lead content to go up? I guess 4 PPM is "normal" according to the report, and they weren't sure what would cause the lead to be slightly higher and told me I shouldn't worry about it yet. I just want to know what would cause the lead to go up...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just got my oil report, and I have 15 PPM for lead. What bearings go out to cause the lead content to go up? I guess 4 PPM is "normal" according to the report, and they weren't sure what would cause the lead to be slightly higher and told me I shouldn't worry about it yet. I just want to know what would cause the lead to go up...
Main bearings, con rod bearings, cam bearings.

Is this your first report? How many miles on oil, on engine?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Main bearings, con rod bearings, cam bearings.

Is this your first report? How many miles on oil, on engine?
This is the first report. When the test was done the engine was around 165k and the oil had around 4100 on it with Rotella 10w30. I can get the exact details if needed.

Should I worry about the lead content? Anything preventative I can do about it? Blackstone mentioned in the report it was nothing to worry about quite yet. Is it usually a lot of work/expensive to replace these bearings?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hmmm.... firstly, shouldn't you maybe be running 15w-40?
Well, it gets pretty cold here in the winter, so I wanted to run something a little thinner than the 15w40. The owners manual recommended the 10w30 for colder temps, so that's what I do for the winter. I'll switch to 15w40 next oil change for the warmer months.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Royal Purple all the way! if you want a good synthetic! MY 2 Cents! i use to use 3 gallons delo 400 CI-4+ with the special blend of 4 qts of Rosline you could pull the dipstick out at 2500 miles on the oil and it would be so clean "No Black". but the new CJ-4 formula and the Rosline pull the dipstick out @ 200 miles "Black oil" :tard: so i just use 100% Royal Purple just pulled it out 1458 miles clean as a whistle! A CLEAN MOTOR IS A GOOD MOTOR! AMSOIL is probably pretty good i'm just not payin $10 a quart i'll Pay $25 a gallon and go down the road! sorry guys i just had to give ya my perspective! :icon_ford: Same Side!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I always thought that a good oil held the "dirt" (i.e. soot) in suspension....
Unless you have some really unreal bypass system, your oil is going to get black. As soot is generally less than 1 micron, it will still color your oil black.
Black oil is not an indication that it isn't any good and needs to be changed.

Some engines like to dirty up the engine faster than others.... just as the Cummins guys with the 6.7's..... all they have to do is drive around the block after a change and their oil is black.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts