Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Four oil changes so far on our year old '07 6.0, in an E450, rv-about 12,000 miles. First change was not tested, the original factory fill, second change, tested, was Ford 15-40 dino, second change, tested was Amsoil 15-40 synthetic, third change, tested, was Del 1.

Across the board the wear metals are very close, the lab language is, "similar wear characteristics, very low wear levels".

Its -beginning- to look like it doesn't make a hoot what juice you use so long as you change often; I think................

Oh yeah,

no glycol !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:woot:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I kind of agree. Granted they are not all the same, but I put more stock in the filter and changing it when needed and running the approved CJ-4 oil.

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
I have to agree -- as long as you're using a good quality oil and changing frequently, you shouldn't have anything but great results on the oil analysis. I've run mostly Rotella-T synthetic but switched to AmSoil about 25k miles ago. I'm confident that I can run the AmSoil for 8k miles with a filter change at 4k and still be very, very well protected. I'm not confident that I could do that with the Rotella and I was changing the oil and filters every 5k miles.

--Snake

·
4,474 Posts
I have to agree -- as long as you're using a good quality oil and changing frequently, you shouldn't have anything but great results on the oil analysis. I've run mostly Rotella-T synthetic but switched to AmSoil about 25k miles ago. I'm confident that I can run the AmSoil for 8k miles with a filter change at 4k and still be very, very well protected. I'm not confident that I could do that with the Rotella and I was changing the oil and filters every 5k miles.

--Snake
Dino Rotella, change it every 8k, oil analysis every other change.

All metals well within parameters, Blackstone always says I could have ran the oil another 2k.

:dunno:

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I run RotellaT synthetic. The truck always starts complaining at about 5k. The idle is louder, and the mileage drops over 20% by 6k. A friend of mine has an 06 Powerstroke too, and his exhibits the same behavior. I used to run RotellaT dino, and it seemed to last the same 5k or so, but I get 1-2 MPG better on the synthetic, so that's all I run now.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Mine starts complaining at 5k also. Mileage drop is the biggest sign it's time for a OC. I just tried the new 15-40 CJ4 rotella this time around and so far I'm very happy. Good price to boot. That's the main reason I don't run Synthetic oil, it's not CJ4 and it's expensive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.