Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok as im driving down the road everything is okay until i hit a bump, can be a big bump or even a reflector to set this death wobble started, the complete truck wobbles violently all my tie rods and ball joint are new, i tightend the whole front end, i went to a differential guy and he told me to get a new differential b/c whatever is loose is eating my differential housing all my bearings in the front hub are about 2 years old, what can this be i cant even drive this truck.... :(

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
i would check all bushings in front end.if that dont work ,i would look into a steering stabilizer.that should eliminate it.i have a 250 so im not all sure what is on the d60goodluck

·
Registered
102 Posts
check your tracking bar goes from d\side frame to front axle check make sure bolts are tight and bushings good on both ends

·
Vendor
1,594 Posts
Start with simple things...
1. Check that the pitman arm nut is tight
2. Check that both tie rod ends on the upper steering rod are tight and dont have any slop.
3. Check that both ends of your center draglink are tight and dont have any slop.
4. Check your upper track bar mount, make sure all the bolts that are holding it to the frame are tight.
5. Check that both bolts on the track bar are tight.
6. Check that the upper and lower ball joints on both sides are tight.
7. Check that the lug nuts are tight.
8. Check that the 4 bolts that hole the front wheel hubs on are tight (these exist on the superdutys, I dont know about the earlier stuff, sorry if I'm off here)

If something is loose, let us know and we can help from there.

IF NOTHING is loose, have a couple buddies rock the truck back and forth and look for any parts that show slop. Also have someone turn the steering wheel left to right while your watching for any play in any components. Remember that even a small amount of slop in the system can translate to alot by the time it gets to the wheels.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i took it to the shop the other day b/c i was desprate, but it was the track bar :( good thing its a cheap fix, i took the truck out the shop today added leaf and put my 36 inch military tires in the back and have them fix my track bar tomarrow and put my 36inch military tires !!!!!!!!!! cant wait !!!!! i'll post pics when im done !!!

·
Registered
54 Posts

I have a 2005 Excursion 6.0L. I started having death wobble from Aug 22nd, 2009. it was scary. very scary.

On Monday, 24th took it to the shop and replaced the Steering stabilizer which was shot. so went for test drive, it seems to be okay. on 25th in the morning hit a little bump for testing and here comes again the wobble. I went straight to the shop and put in the lift so i see a crack on the front passenger side bracket that connects the steering stabilizer and it's all the way to Axle/drivetrain. so i welded for temporaly until i find a new one or used one.

26th, So drove home and drove back to work. It seems like the wobbling is gone. Above you will see pics of what happened
after the wobbling.
Bottom piece that is called the damper(steering stabilizer) was shot and replaced to new one. Other forums are saying that can cause the DEATH WOBBLE!

p.s. 1. upper and lower ball joints were replaced back in Feb/2008
2. tire pressure are all fine

I think this is not too common on FORD 250-350-excursion???

Robert

1 - 6 of 6 Posts