Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Are any of you guys running the off-road diesel? Off-road here is $3.39 but regular diesel is running $3.75-$3.85 and I'm just curious if it's ok to put this in the truck. From what I understand the 6.0's were designed to run on the higher sulfer diesel with its added lubrication. Am I mistaken & would it harm the engine by running the off-road diesel? (currently at 220k miles w/o a single engine issue)

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
My understanding is if you use it and they (DOT) sticks your tank it is a $10,000 fine. It is tax evasion. it is dyed red for that reason. It is the same fuel for my home.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My understanding is if you use it and they (DOT) sticks your tank it is a $10,000 fine. It is tax evasion. it is dyed red for that reason. It is the same fuel for my home.
That is not what the OP asked. He asked if it would harm the engine.

No it will not harm the engine.

·
Registered
425 Posts
It won't harm your engine, but, if you get caught by the DOT, it will DEFINITELY harm your wallet.
:D

Are any of you guys running the off-road diesel? Off-road here is $3.39 but regular diesel is running $3.75-$3.85 and I'm just curious if it's ok to put this in the truck. From what I understand the 6.0's were designed to run on the higher sulfer diesel with its added lubrication. Am I mistaken & would it harm the engine by running the off-road diesel? (currently at 220k miles w/o a single engine issue)

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
All diesel fuel is ultra low sulfur now, doesnt matter the color its the same pretty much, but most off road diesel tanks are pretty nasty. I just worked on a 6.4 with off road diesel, it ran just fine. I had a 6.4 with off road diesel a few years ago before it was ulsd and it stopped the dpf up so bad the truck wouldn't run.
Its your butt if you get caught with it though!

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
As for the design of the 6.0L, it was made to run on Low Sulfer Diesel - LSD (200ppm), in '07 the spec was dropped to Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel - ULSD (15ppm) and those trucks there is a statement at the fuel cap and the manual that both LSD and ULSD are acceptable fuels.

You run the legal risk as you see fit (and it can be several thousand, even for first offense).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Maybe its a stupid question but what is the difference between the two? Here in Miami, I have seenabout 2 or 3 sellimg the stuff.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Off road diesel is dyed red. That is the ONLY difference, but the name tells you why, OFF road, it is sold without the added cost of a road tax which is why it is cheaper but if you get caught, it is tax evasion

·
Registered
12 Posts
Where I'm at (CO) the difference is just the dye in order to tell if it was bought tax free or not.

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
When the ULSD started out, the LSD stuff was typically what you would see for 'off-road' diesel. Since those supplies have since been used up, its all ULSD now. The difference being the dye, and the penalties/taxes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, great info guys. Don't think it'll be worth the risk.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
We are paying $4.05 right now,with the storm comin to Florida and what ever else excuse they can come up with lord only knows what we will pay tommorow. I have a off road diesel pump less than 1 mile from my house. I stop myself from looking at the price I know what I will do....trust me Ive seen me do it!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Not worth the risk. My bro in law's family owns farm land and all have farm truck tags. He got stopped and dipped. Even with the farm tags they gave him he!!. towed his truck and wrote up a fine for tax evasion. 2 years through the court systems and thousands spent on lawyers all charges were dropped. The only probable cause the officer presented was that "something didnt seem right".

Even if your legal, officers have all the power. They might have got busted screwing the babysitter the night before and decide to take it out on you.

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
Yes, it's up to the person with farm tags to prove he was doing farm business when he was pulled over on a roadway. Taking a drive to get groceries for example is not farm business, but if he was going into town to pick up a combine part he is doing farm business and will not be fined.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts