Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this past week, I thought my A/C started going out when I got nothing but warm air when on "A/C" or "MAX A/C". I was looking around for a possible leak when I felt cold air coming out from the area I have the arrow pointed to in the picture below. I pushed the spongy material around a little bit then suddenly the piping on the a/c accumulator got ice cold which told me it was working again. I felt the air inside, and sure enough it works again. I think I stopped the leak temporarily but i'm sure it'll come back in the future. First, where could the leak be coming from specifically, and second, where does that pipe lead to?

(Note: I had refrigerant lines, compressor and accumulator replaced at the end of summer in 2010 as well as a new belt 3 months ago)

2004 ford f250 6.0

Attachments

·
Registered
968 Posts
Your arrow is pointing to the liquid line after the orifice tube and right before the evaporator. The spongy stuff is use like weather stripping to keep the cold air in and the hot air out of the evaporator and thus the cabin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just the answer I was looking for thanks! And it did happen again just like I thought. Do you think it would be a good idea to pack down say, cotton balls in it to help plug the gaps closed, or what would be the right way to manage something like this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hopefully I can bring this thread back up. I also encountered this issue earlier. I just bought a 2006 f250 and the ac has been fairly cool until two days ago. Gauges read good but my compressor clutch was cycling. My wife stuck her hand in that same area and it was leaking. I plugged it as well and not my compressor cycles how it should and I have ice cold air.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i wanna know...

Has anyone found the cause of this leak or how to exactly fix it? I bought a 2004 about 10 months ago and I am getting that same little bit of cold air coming from that spot. It is hot as hell and I would love to have my AC back!! :bump:

·
Administrator
31,281 Posts
that box is going to have air pressure in it when the fan is on a small leak won't deplete anything important or cause any major loss of cold air in the cab

if you hate it just get some sealant
but use something that can be removed if need be ( AKA not silicone ) use foam tape / black latex caulk etc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts