Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've had my batteries (2) die twice in as many weeks in my 2014 F350. It is seemingly random, as the first time, the truck only sat overnight. Jumped it with my Craftsman battery charger/starter, drove it to work then back. Then, I left it parked for three days, started right up when I got back from my trip. Yesterday, I drove it to work, parked for about 9 hours, and she was dead again.

I replaced both batteries yesterday, as they were OEM Motorcraft from laste 2013 amd didnt look all that great. Then I started hunting for a parasitic draw.

Multimeter shows a draw of about 11 amps with door open (expected). After closing the door and locking, the draw falls to just over 3 amps as the truck 'goes to sleep'. From there, it slowly falls, levelling out at about 100 milliamps. Now, 100 mA is low, but double what everyone says the draw 'should be (50 mA or less).

The odd part is: after watching it for awhile, the draw will fall more, dropping until negative current is being drawn, all the way down to about -300 mA, then it will return to about 300 mA then back to 100 mA steady. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Q1: Is 100mA steady draw acceptable? The truck is a fully loaded Lariat with a boat load of electronics.

Q2: What could be causing the draw to fluctuate in what appears to be a pattern?

Q3: During fluctuation, why does it dip into the negative?

- Matt

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do you have an alarm with the perimeter sensor? That would run full time but I wouldn't think the draw would be that high to kill your batteries so fast.. Does the door open draw go up the same when each door is open? Maybe a bad door switch? Do all the interior lights go out when the door is closed?
Good luck. I hate gremlins like this, they are no fun...

(Subscribed)

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Have you pulled fuses to see if anything gets to the "50 ma" or stops the 300ma spike?

If I'm reading you correctly, the current goes from +100ma to -300ma. The only thing I can think of is one battery is charging the other?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts