Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have this 2010 F250 with roughly about 110k and I’ve been chasing this occasional white (maybe blueish) smoke for some time. Doesn’t do it all the time, but when it does, don’t be behind me. Total smoke screen. Only does it when the engine is under a “load”. Meaning it won’t do it while in Park or Neutral. When it does it, will get a large plume when leaving from a stop and you can see it slowly diminish and more speed is gained.

Of course it isn’t consistent or doing it on a regular basis, so I can’t take it anywhere. I’ve even tried tracking it on Trip A to see if there is a pattern to it. Past few times have been 3xx, 2x, 1xx miles between resets. It isn’t showing a regen when it happens either.

It seems to run normal, no loss in power. Doesn’t even drive differently when it throws up the smoke screen.

I do seem to be getting so puking from the degas, but not a lot. May not even be related. I only say that, because I’ve seen some residue on the bottle and other areas near it. Residue could even be from when it was in the shop getting the oil cooler replaced.

I have some videos on my phone of it happening, if that’ll help anyone be able to help me.

It doesn’t scream to be head gasket to me, but I’m by no means a diesel expert. First one I’ve personally owned. I thinking maybe EGR or EGR cooler(s).

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is no fix to this - it happens when the truck goes into regeneration mode but the temperature of the truck is not warm enough to burn off all the diesel inserted during the exhaust stroke. The only “fix” is to remove the DPF and tune to eliminate regeneration.

I haven’t seen this with my truck for a while as I daily drive a corolla and use the 6.4 for long haul heavy towing only. 180k stock.

·
Registered
13 Posts
bluish white smoke is unburned fuel coming out of unit. you could test ig-88's statement(for research purpose) by getting the unit up to operating temp at idle followed by driving to see if the smoke persists. if you wanted some things to look at- you could check to see if your ecm cal is current, new ones get released to solve issues. you could find out if your unit uses extra fuel for regen or has an aftertreatment injector. inspect either for leaking. (trucks i work on with injector over fuel for regen often develop an overfueling issue and knock. if you have afi. it could be leaking. if neither of those are an issue it is possible your DOC is poisoned and is unable to burn the fuel efficiently.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts